AUSTRALIA VS. INDIA: INDIA’S TOUR OF AUSTRALIA 2020, 1st ODI | MATCH PREDICTION AND FANTASY CRICKET TIPS
No more waiting! Team India is back in action after a gap of more than eight months as they take on Australia in the first ODI of the three-match series at the Sydney Cricket Ground on Friday.
Along with home conditions favoring them, Australia, who won their last series against England in September, look a more settled unit. There is a lot of firepower at the top of the order in the likes of Finch, Warner, and Smith. Also, the rise of M Stoinis as a finisher adds to the team’s middle-order strength.
Captained by V Kohli, India have a slightly less heavy batting arsenal due to the absence of R Sharma. Nevertheless, the Men in Blue have selected a strong squad, with H Pandya’s return adding much-needed power game to the lower-middle order.
S Dhawan will be confident after scoring a bucketload of runs in the Indian T20 League. S Iyer at No. 4 has been excellent so far. J Bumrah and M Shami were in good form in the Indian T20 League and will be crucial to the fortunes of India on this long tour.
India has played 51 ODIs against Australia in Australia, winning only 13 games. In the ODIs played in Sydney, India has a dismal record of just two wins in 17 matches.
Both teams look evenly matched on paper and are excited to be on the cricket field in their national colors. We should be in for a cracking contest to start the 3-match ODI series at Sydney.
- Match: Australia vs. India, 1st ODI
- Venue: Sydney Cricket Ground, Sydney
- Date & Time: Nov. 27, 2020, at 9.10 AM IST
Probable Playing XI
A Finch (C), D Warner, S Smith, M Labuschagne, G Maxwell, M Stoinis, A Carey (WK), P Cummins, M Starc, A Zampa, J Hazlewood
S Dhawan, M Agarwal, V Kohli (C), S Iyer, L Rahul (WK), H Pandya, R Jadeja, M Shami, S Thakur, Y Chahal, J Bumrah
Weather and Pitch Report
The weather is good for the first ODI, with temperatures in the high 20s during the day. It will cool down a little in the evening. There are no chances of rain.
A good track is expected at the Sydney Cricket Ground, with the average score on this ground being 305 in the last five ODIs. Batsmen have enjoyed the conditions, scoring five centuries in the same duration. The pacers will get assistance with the new ball, and the spinners will get some turn as well in the second innings.
The power play overs will be crucial to both sides’ chances, with wickets in hand at the end being a key. With the pitch likely to get slower as the match progresses, both teams will look to bat first on winning the toss. Also, the last five matches have been won by the team batting first.
- S Smith returns to the playing eleven after he was ruled out of the ODI series against England as a precautionary measure for concussion. With Smith at no. 3, Australia will have the perfect candidate to build their innings. In three ODIs against India earlier in the year, he scored 98, 131, and 76.
- M Labuschagne was in good touch against England a few months back and is a potential No.4 for Australia. He has scored 253 runs in his last five innings at an average of 50.6, including his maiden century and a fifty.
- M Starc is deadly with the new ball and is back to his best. He is ready to rattle India’s top order. He has taken 183 wickets in his ODI career at an economy of 5.11. Also, he has picked up 9 wickets in his last two first-class games.
- S Dhawan becomes an even more important player in the absence of R Sharma. He has the experience and plays freely at the top of the order. He has scored 699 runs in 18 innings in Australia, including two centuries and three fifties.
- L Rahul will be the wicketkeeper-batsman, after his successful series against Australia and New Zealand earlier this year. He has been exceptional at the top as well as at number five. His last five scores read 80, 19, 88*, 4, and 112.
- J Bumrah’s spell with the new ball and yorkers in death overs can be the difference in a close contest. Although he has been wicketless in five of his last six ODIs, expect him to come back stronger here.
Howzat Dream Team
- Wicketkeeper: L Rahul
- Batsmen: S Smith, M Labuschagne, S Dhawan, S Iyer
- All-rounders: M Stoinis, R Jadeja
- Bowlers: M Starc, A Zampa. Y Chahal, J Bumrah
- Captain: M Labuschagne/L Rahul
- Vice Captain: S Dhawan/M Stoinis
NOTE: The Howzat dream team above is just a suggestion. You can select your own fantasy 11, and play fantasy cricket matches. Also, don’t forget to make any necessary changes to your team once the actual playing 11 is announced by each team (30 minutes before the start of the match) as some players you have selected might not be part of the team suggested.
Get fantasy cricket tips on your favorite fantasy sports app and select your own team, Howzat!