BANGLADESH VS. WEST INDIES: WI’S TOUR OF BANG 2020, 1st ODI | MATCH PREDICTION AND FANTASY CRICKET TIPS
Bangladesh take on the West Indies in the first of the three ODIs at the Sher-e-Bangla Stadium in Mirpur on Wednesday.
Bangladesh return to action for the first time since last March when they hosted Zimbabwe. Most of the players have played in the domestic Bangabandhu T20 Cup competition, which concluded recently.
Star all-rounder S Al Hasan returns after a long-term suspension and will give the team a boost from both a batting and bowling perspective. There is plenty of experience in the squad in the form of T Iqbal, M Rahim, and R Mahmudullah. The team also has a strong bowling line-up in the form of M Rahman, M Hasan, and M Saifuddin. S Islam and H Mahmud have received their first call up to the national team and may get to play in the later stages of the series.
The West Indies have played plenty of Test and T20 cricket even during the pandemic. This three-match ODI series will be their first in this format since their three-match series in Sri Lanka a year ago.
Due to bio-bubble restrictions, an extremely inexperienced squad has been named for this tour. J Mohammed will lead the team with S Ambris as vice-captain. R Powell and A Joseph will be the most experienced players in the batting and bowling departments respectively. This will be a good opportunity for the younger players to gain valuable experience in difficult and unfamiliar conditions away from home.
Bangladesh are a strong team and have plenty of experience in these conditions. They will start as favorites in this series.
- Match: Bangladesh vs. West Indies, 1st ODI
- Venue: Sher-e-Bangla Stadium, Mirpur
- Date & Time: Jan. 20, 2021, at 11 AM IST
Probable Playing XI
T Iqbal (C), L Das, N Hossain Shanto, S Al Hasan, M Rahim (WK), Mahmudullah, S Sarkar, M Saifuddin, M Hasan Miraz, H Mahmud, M Rahman
J da Silva (WK), S Ambris, J Mohammed (C), A McCarthy, R Reifer, R Powell, K Mayers, N Bonner, C Holder, A Hosein, A Joseph
Weather and Pitch Report
Mirpur is expected to have slightly cloudy conditions for the day. There may be a few rain interruptions in the afternoon. The temperature will be around 24 degrees during the match.
Shere Bangla National Stadium has one of the finest batting wickets where the batsmen have scored lots of runs and the outfield is lightning fast. There will not be much for the pace bowlers on this surface but the spinner will get plenty of turn from the surface. The average first innings score in ODIs here is 243 runs.
Given the dew factor, bowling second on this track would be difficult with a wet ball. Expect the captain winning the toss to bowl first on this track. A target of 260-270 can be a competitive one.
- L Das has been a consistent run scorer for Bangladesh at the top of the order since the 2019 World Cup. His innings of 176 in the last ODI against Zimbabwe broke Bangladesh’s previous record for the highest individual score. He will look to start the series on a positive note.
- T Iqbal is the leading run-scorer for Bangladesh in ODIs, with over 7200 runs and 13 centuries. He scored a couple of massive centuries (128* and 158) in the series against Zimbabwe last year. Expect him to play a big innings against the inexperienced bowling of the West Indies.
- S Al Hasan is back in the side for the first time since his suspension. He last played in the 2019 World Cup, where he scored more than 600 runs at an average of 86. His experience with both the bat and the ball will be very important in this series.
- S Ambris is one of the experienced players on the West Indies team. He has scored 447 runs in 13 ODIs at an average of 44.7, including a century and two half centuries. Expect him to guide the youngsters on the team in spin-friendly conditions.
- R Powell did not have much success with the bat in the recent T20 series against New Zealand. But in the absence of other senior players, he is the most experienced batsman in the team and will be critical to the West Indies chances here.
- A Joseph bowled well in the Test series against New Zealand and will be leading the bowling attack in this series. He has taken 48 wickets in 28 matches at an economy rate of 5.9. Expect him to pick up wickets in this match too.
Howzat Dream Team
- Wicketkeepers: L Das, J Da Silva
- Batsmen: T Iqbal, N Hossain Shanto, S Ambris, R Powell
- All-rounders: S Hasan, M Saifuddin
- Bowlers: M Hasan Miraz, M Rahman, A Joseph
- Captain: L Das/T Iqbal
- Vice Captain: M Rahman/M Saifuddin
NOTE: The Howzat dream team above is just a suggestion. You can select your own fantasy 11, and play fantasy cricket matches. Also, don’t forget to make any necessary changes to your team once the actual playing 11 is announced by each team (30 minutes before the start of the match) as some players you have selected might not be part of the team suggested.
Get fantasy cricket tips on your favorite fantasy sports app and select your own team, Howzat!