In the second match of the doubleheader Saturday, Delhi take on Chennai in match 34 of the Indian T20 League 2020 at the Sharjah Cricket Stadium.
High-flying Delhi sit in the first position in the points table with six wins in eight games, while Chennai have been struggling in the sixth position with three wins in eight matches.
These two teams met in match 7 earlier in the season, where Delhi came out victorious comfortably by 44 runs. P Shaw scored 64 runs off 43 balls and K Rabada and A Nortje picked up five wickets together to easily defend the score. For Chennai, only Du Plessis made a significant contribution.
Delhi have done exceedingly well this season. With a power-packed batting unit and an in-form bowling attack, they are well on course for a top-two finish. With R Pant’s unavailability and S Iyer injury in the last game, the depth of the squad will be tested in the next few matches.
Rabada and Nortje have been bowling with pace and accuracy in the tournament so far and have already picked up 28 wickets together. They will look to attack the Chennai batsmen in this match.
Chennai had their worst mid-season finish since the 2010 season. They have started the second half well with a victory against Hyderabad in the last game. There were many contributors in both the departments for the side. S Watson and A Rayudu were good with the bat. And with S Curran and R Jadeja’s all-round contributions, it bodes well for the balance of the team in the upcoming matches.
With some of the best T20 players taking to the field, a highly entertaining game awaits us at Sharjah.
- Match: Delhi vs. Chennai, Match 34
- Venue: Sharjah Cricket Stadium, Sharjah
- Date & Time: Oct. 17, 2020, at 7.30 PM IST
Probable Playing XI
S Dhawan, P Shaw, A Rahane, S Iyer (C), M Stoinis, A Carey (WK), A Patel, R Ashwin, K Rabada, A Nortje, H Patel
S Watson, F du Plessis, A Rayudu, M Dhoni (C & WK), N Jagadeeshan, R Jadeja, S Curran, D Bravo, S Thakur, K Sharma, D Chahar
Although Sharjah is known for its small boundaries, the pitch has slowed down considerably during the last three games at the venue. The average first innings score is 187 runs.
Apart from a special De Villiers innings, no one was able to get going in the last match here, with the spinners dominating in the middle overs.
Both teams will look to make full use of the power play restrictions, with batting being relatively easier against the new ball during the restrictions.
Dew is expected to play a part in the second half of the game, but both the teams will look to bat first and make good use of the batting conditions. A score of 180 should be par at this venue, as the pitch will offer grip and turn as the match progresses.
- With 258 runs in 8 innings and 2 fifties in the last two games, S Dhawan becomes an important player in the batting line-up, especially if Iyer misses out in this match.
- M Stoinis has performed his all-rounder duties well, with almost 200 runs and 6 wickets to his name. His power-hitting in the death overs will be key.
- R Ashwin will not be easy to get away with on a surface that is slowing down and gripping with each match.
- S Curran is doing everything the team wants him to do. He is the highest wicket-taker for the team this season. Also, coming as an opener gives him more opportunities to score runs.
- F du Plessis is the highest run-scorer for the team this season, with more than 300 runs to his credit. Also, he will be eager to make up for the misses in the last few matches.
- R Jadeja is batting up the order and has bowled well in the last few matches. Expect him to give one more all-round performance.
Howzat Dream Team
- Wicketkeeper: M Dhoni
- Batsmen: F du Plessis, A Rahane, S Dhawan
- All-rounder: S Curran, R Jadeja, M Stoinis
- Bowlers: S Thakur, K Rabada, A Nortje, R Ashwin
- Captain: M Stoinis/R Jadeja
- Vice Captain: R Ashwin/S Curran
NOTE: The Howzat dream team above is just a suggestion. You can select your own fantasy cricket team in the fantasy cricket league by using your knowledge. Also, don’t forget to make any necessary changes to your team once the actual playing 11 is announced by each team (30 minutes before the start of the match) as some players you have selected might not be part of the fantasy 11.