- A few tips to help you pick your Howzat team for the Delhi v Punjab match of the Indian T20 League 2020.
- Last year’s 3rd ranked Delhi face Punjab in Match 2 of the Indian T20 League 2020
The biggest festival of cricket has started as Indian T20 League action moves across the desert land. Delhi takes on Punjab in the second match of the season on Sunday.
Delhi and Punjab are the two amongst the only three teams, who are yet to lift the trophy. Hence, both sides would be keen on getting off to a blistering start. These two teams have been the bottom-ranked teams on most occasions, Delhi 4 times and Punjab 3 times. Also, they have qualified for the playoffs just six times combined.
Coincidently, the last time the Indian T20 League had been in UAE, was the last occasion of Punjab qualifying for the playoffs with an undefeated record in the UAE. They have the luxury of some of the tailormade T20 batsmen – both domestic and overseas likes KL Rahul, Chris Gayle, Nicholas Pooran, and Glenn Maxwell. Spinners like Mujeeb-Ur-Rahman and Ravi Bishnoi can trouble the batsmen in spin-friendly conditions.
Plenty of experts and plaudits expects Team Delhi to lift the trophy this time mainly due to the presence of many renowned Indian batsmen. The likes of Shikhar Dhawan, Prithvi Shaw, skipper Shreyas Iyer, and Rishabh Pant comprise an excellent top four. Ravichandran Ashwin, Amit Mishra, Axar Patel, and Sandeep Lamichanne, all are capable of exploiting the slow conditions in the UAE.
In 26 head to head matches, Punjab is ahead with 16 wins, compared to Delhi winning 10. Also, Punjab has been the winner on 4 of the last five occasions.
- Match: Delhi vs. Punjab, Match 2
- Venue: Dubai International Stadium, Dubai
- Date & Time: Sept. 20, 2020, at 7.30 PM IST
Probable Playing 11
Shikhar Dhawan, Prithvi Shaw, Shreyas Iyer (C), Rishabh Pant (WK), Shimron Hetmyer, Marcus Stoinis, Axar Patel, Ravichandran Ashwin, Kagiso Rabada, Anrich Nortje, and Ishant Sharma
KL Rahul (C&WK), Mayank Aggarwal, Karun Nair, Nicholas Pooran, Glenn Maxwell, Sarfaraz Khan, Krishnappa Gowtham, Chris Jordan, Mohammed Shami, Ravi Bishnoi, Sheldon Cottrell
The pitch at the Dubai International Stadium is generally a little quicker as compared to the other two venues.
In 62 T20Is held at the venue, the average first innings score has been 144 with teams batting first having a slight advantage.
In seven Indian T20 League games held at this venue in 2014, the average score was 148 with pacers playing a significant role. Bowlers with variations can do well at this venue. Spinners have bowled an average of 7.3 overs per 20 overs at the venue.
- KL Rahul has been in terrific form and doing everything one can do on a cricket field. Shikhar Dhawan has been a consistent run-scorer at the top of the order for Delhi.
- Shreyas Iyer and Mayank Aggarwal can play long innings and up the scoring rate when required.
- Glenn Maxwell can be pretty devastating if he gets going. Similarly, Rishabh Pant is a very dangerous hitter one he gets settled.
- Kagiso Rabada and Mohammed Shami will be crucial with the new ball for both the teams.
- Mujeeb has picked up lots of wickets in the recently concluded Caribbean T20 League on similar surfaces. Also, Ravi Ashwin will be looking to get one over against his former team.
Howzat Dream Team
NOTE: The Howzat dream team above is just a suggestion. You can select your own fantasy cricket team by using your knowledge of cricket. Also, don’t forget to make any necessary changes to your team once the actual playing 11 is announced by each team (30 minutes before the start of the match) as some players you have selected might not be part of the playing 11.