Match 35 of the Indian T20 league 2020 has Hyderabad taking on Kolkata at the Sheikh Zayed Stadium on Sunday afternoon.
Both sides have had an average season so far and are coming here with a two-match losing streak. They sit next to each other in the points table. With three wins in eight matches, Hyderabad is fifth in the points table. Their opponents, Kolkata, are in fourth place with four wins in eight matches.
The two teams earlier met in match 8 of the tournament at the same venue; Kolkata came out victorious by seven wickets.
For Hyderabad, M Pandey scored 51 runs while S Gill was the Man of the Match with a well compiled 70 runs. The batting unit of Hyderabad has enjoyed some success, with D Warner and J Bairstow scoring runs consistently. K Williamson scored runs in their last game, which makes the top order look strong. Also, there is an ever-present threat of R Khan in the bowling attack.
On the other hand, Kolkata changed their captain before their last match. D Karthik handed over the reins to a more seasoned and successful captain, Eoin Morgan. But the decision did not have any immediate positive impact on the team’s performance and they ended up losing against Mumbai in the last match.
S Gill continues to look good in the middle but he is not getting support from the other end. One fifty in eight matches is not good enough for the likes of D Karthik and N Rana. L Ferguson may get a chance in this match to make up for the lack of penetration in the bowling lineup.
The head-to-head record of the two teams is in Kolkata’s favor, and they would like to extend that. All in all, another exciting game awaits us at Abu Dhabi.
- Match: Hyderabad vs. Kolkata, Match 35
- Venue: Sheikh Zayed Stadium, Abu Dhabi
- Date & Time: Oct. 18, 2020, at 3.30 PM IST
Probable Playing XI
D Warner (C), J Bairstow (WK), M Pandey, K Williamson, P Garg, V Shankar, A Samad, R Khan, S Sharma, K Ahmed, T Natarajan
S Gill, R Tripathi, N Rana, E Morgan, D Karthik(C & WK), A Russell, P Cummins, K Nagarkoti, V Chakravarthy, L Ferguson, P Krishna
The pitch at the Sheikh Zayed Stadium has been very helpful to bowlers, with the average first innings score being 158. As this is a day game, chances of dew are negligible.
While there is some swing on offer for the pacers, the spinners have also been effective as the pitch tends to slow down as the game progresses.
After the initial few weeks, teams are looking to bat first given the slowness of the tracks. It should be the same case in this game as well. Anything above 160 should be a challenging total, with quality bowlers on either side.
- D Warner and J Bairstow are the two best batsmen in the Hyderabad batting line-up. Their record is similar this season, with around 280 runs each in 8 matches, including five fifties.
- Rashid Khan has the best economy rate among all the bowlers who have picked up 10 wickets or more this season. Expect him to continue in the same form.
- S Gill is the highest run-scorer for Kolkata this season and has a good record in the matches played in Abu Dhabi.
- A Russell has scored only 83 runs in the seven innings he has played this year. With the power he possesses, these figures will disappoint him and he will like to correct this here.
- V Chakravarthy has been a find of the season for Kolkata so far. With six wickets at an economy rate of 7.21, he has been Kolkata’s best bowler.
Howzat Dream Team
- Wicketkeeper: J Bairstow
- Batsmen: S Gill, E Morgan, D Warner, P Garg
- All-rounder: A Russell
- Bowlers: S Mavi, V Chakravarthy, R Khan, K Ahmed, T Natarajan
- Captain: D Warner/ E Morgan
- Vice Captain: S Gill/ R Khan
NOTE: The Howzat dream team above is just a suggestion. You can select your own fantasy cricket team, play fantasy cricket, and win real cash. Also, don’t forget to make any necessary changes to your team once the actual playing 11 is announced by each team (30 minutes before the start of the match) as some players you have selected might not be part of the fantasy 11.