Match 22 of the Indian T20 league sees Hyderabad taking on Punjab at the Dubai International Stadium on Thursday.
Hyderabad has won two games and Punjab has won just one game in the league so far. Hyderabad got beaten by Mumbai by 37 runs in their last game, while Punjab got hammered by ten wickets in their last match.
After two consecutive wins, Hyderabad fell short chasing Mumbai’s 200+ score. The biggest positive from the match was the form of captain D Warner. After failing in the previous four matches, D Warner scored 60 runs. While he was at the crease, Hyderabad looked like chasing the Mumbai total successfully.
B Kumar is out of the tournament because of a thigh injury and P Yarra has been named as his replacement. With B Kumar gone, the pace department gets weak and a little low on experience. The likes of S Sharma and S Kaul will have to lead from the front in the rest of the tournament. T Natarajan has shown that he is as good as any when it comes to bowling yorkers while the sheer presence of R Khan to bowl in the middle overs adds sharpness.
Punjab, on the other hand, is on a three-match losing streak and looks unsettled with their combinations and players. L Rahul and M Agarwal have scored the bulk of the runs for the team while the others have been found wanting whenever they got their chances. G Maxwell may be on his last few chances to perform and restore the faith of the team management in him.
Bowling has been a major worry for the team in the tournament so far. Except for M Shami and R Bishnoi, none of their bowlers have looked threatening. It is highly likely that S Cottrell or C Jordan will make way for M Ur Rahman to come into the line-up. Frequent chops and changes to their line-up haven’t helped either.
The head-to-head record of the two teams reads 10-4 in Hyderabad’s favor. However, the recent encounters have been pretty even and each side has won 2 matches in the last two years.
With both sides looking to go back to winning ways after losing their last matches, one can expect a cracking encounter in Dubai on Thursday.
- Match: Hyderabad vs. Punjab, Match 22
- Venue: Dubai International Stadium, Dubai
- Date & Time: Oct. 8, 2020, at 7.30 PM IST
Probable Playing XI
D Warner (C), J Bairstow (WK), M Pandey, K Williamson, P Garg, A Sharma, A Samad, R Khan, S Kaul, S Sharma, T Natarajan
L Rahul (C & WK), M Aggarwal, K Nair, N Pooran, G Maxwell, Sarfaraz K, C Jordan, M Ashwin, M Shami, S Cottrell, R Bishnoi
The pitch at the Dubai International Cricket Stadium has been a competitive one with something in it for everyone. There is ample help on offer for the pacers, who should get the new ball to swing early on. It gets easier to bat on after the initial few overs and teams have kept wickets in hand for a big flourish in the last ten overs.
Only one game has been won chasing the target at this venue, though that may not have any bearing on the toss as both teams will look to chase on this surface.
A total of 170-180 should be a good score here as dew is expected to play a role as the game progresses.
- L Rahul and M Agarwal are the only batsmen on the team scoring runs consistently. They are at 1st and 3rd places in the Orange Cap race.
- N Pooran has shown the intent to score big, and with a less experienced attack of Hyderabad, he can go big in this match.
- M Shami has looked the best in a struggling bowling line-up and looks good to pick up a few more wickets.
- J Bairstow missed out in the last few matches. He can score big and quick, especially against a low-on-confidence Punjab bowling.
- M Pandey has only one fifty and a bunch of 30s in the five matches he has played. A batsman of his caliber needs to score big runs and he may go big in this match.
- R Khan in the middle overs will be very dangerous. With teams trying to play him out, he still managed to pick up important (four) wickets and be economical (4.00) in the last three matches.
Howzat Dream Team
- Wicketkeepers: J Bairstow, L Rahul, N Pooran
- Batsmen: M Pandey, P Garg, M Agarwal
- All-rounders: A Samad
- Bowlers: R Khan, M Shami, M Ur Rehman, T Natarajan
- Captain: J Bairstow/L Rahul
- Vice Captain: R Khan/M Shami
NOTE: The Howzat dream team above is just a suggestion. You can select your own fantasy cricket team by using your knowledge of fantasy cricket. Also, don’t forget to make any necessary changes to your team once the actual playing 11 is announced by each team (30 minutes before the start of the match) as some players you have selected might not be part of the playing 11.