In match 37 of the Indian T20 league 2020, Kolkata take on Bangalore at the Sheikh Zayed Stadium on Wednesday evening.
Kolkata had a start-stop campaign this year with five wins in nine games. They registered a few close wins on the back of their bowling, but their losses have been very lopsided. Only time will tell if the change in captaincy helped the team in achieving their pre-tournament goals.
L Ferguson, playing his first match of the season, bowled with pace and accuracy. The team will hope they can extend their win streak and be in the play-off race. For that to happen, they will need the likes of N Rana and E Morgan to fire, not to mention A Russell, who is yet to get going in this edition.
Bangalore have been one of the teams to beat this season, and V Kohli and his team have already got ten points in eight games. Riding on the fortunes of their bowling attack for a change, the team looks well on course for a top-four finish, although they still have some room for improvement. Their openers, A Finch and D Padikkal, have been in decent touch, and De Villiers’ batting is a sight to behold. Rajasthan were witness to that in the last game.
The reverse fixture between the two sides saw De Villiers smashing Kolkata bowlers to all parts of the ground at Sharjah. Bangalore comfortably won the match by 82 runs.
With both teams looking to boost their chances of a top-four finish, we should be in for a cracking game at Abu Dhabi.
- Match: Kolkata vs. Bangalore, Match 39
- Venue: Sheikh Zayed Stadium, Abu Dhabi
- Date & Time: Oct. 21, 2020, at 7.30 PM IST
Probable Playing XI
S Gill, R Tripathi, N Rana, E Morgan, D Karthik(C & WK), A Russell, P Cummins, L Ferguson, V Chakravarthy, S Mavi, K Yadav
A Finch, D Padikkal, V Kohli (C), AB De Villiers (WK), G Mann, S Ahmed, W Sundar, C Morris, I Udana, N Saini, Y Chahal
The pitch at the Sheikh Zayed Stadium has been on the slower side, with the bowlers dominating on this ground. Pacers have enjoyed some swing with the new ball although the change of pace and the ‘hard’ lengths have served them well in the second half of the innings.
The spinners should get considerable turn off the surface, which should make for a close match-up with the batsmen in the middle overs. Although dew could play a part in the second half of the match, both teams will look to bat first and make use of the best batting conditions in the game. A total of 160 should be a par score at this venue. Wickets in hand are likely to be the key for either side.
- S Gill has scored over 300 runs this season and looked the best batsman in the Kolkata line-up. Expect him to be among the runs in this game too.
- E Morgan has two 40s and three 30s in his nine matches so far. He will like to score a big one in this game.
- L Ferguson seems to be the missing key in Kolkata’s bowling line-up. He picked up 3 wickets in his 4 overs and 2 more in the Super Over.
- D Padikkal has got starts in his last four matches but could not get a big one. He is without a fifty in the last five matches. Expect him to score his fourth fifty of this season.
- De Villiers almost single-handedly beat Kolkata and Rajasthan in the last few matches. His scores of 73* off 33 balls and 55* off 22 balls indicate the form he is in. Expect him to continue in the same form here.
- C Morris has 9 wickets in four matches. It includes the superb spell of 4 for 26 against Rajasthan in the last game.
Howzat Dream Team
- Wicketkeeper: De Villiers
- Batsmen: S Gill, E Morgan, N Rana, D Padikkal
- All-rounders: C Morris, W Sundar, A Russell
- Bowlers: L Ferguson, V Chakravarthy, Y Chahal
- Captain: S Gill/De Villiers
- Vice Captain: C Morris/ L Ferguson
NOTE: The Howzat dream team above is just a suggestion. You can select your own fantasy cricket team, and win cash daily. Also, don’t forget to make any necessary changes to your team once the actual playing 11 is announced by each team (30 minutes before the start of the match) as some players you have selected might not be part of the fantasy 11.