As is the case with many Indian T20 League matches at this late stage of the regular season, both Kolkata and Hyderabad find themselves with next to no margin for error in this game. Kolkata, with their dismal run-rate, will probably miss out on the playoffs even if they win their last 2 matches by big margins. For Hyderabad, who have lost 4 in a row to slip down the table, only 3 straight wins are likely to be enough.
Kolkata made a late surge to the final last season, but have suffered from a collective loss of form in 2022. They started brilliantly, with 3 wins from 4 matches, and S. Iyer in sparkling form as batter and captain. Since then, both leader and team have lost steam, with only A. Russell, U. Yadav and S. Narine living up to expectations. Yadav’s calf injury could rule him out of another match, while P. Cummins has already gone back to Australia with a hip problem.
Hyderabad, whose fantasy cricket bowling attack has taken a beating in recent matches, also need more runs from K. Williamson, their captain. The absences of W. Sundar and T. Natarajan have hit them hard, though both are expected to return against Kolkata.
Hyderabad won their earlier meeting this season, as A. Markram and R. Tripathi starred with the bat. But what they will really hope for is that U. Malik rediscovers the menace that saw him send Iyer’s stumps flying in that game.
- Match: Kolkata vs. Hyderabad, Match 61
- Venue: Maharashtra Cricket Association Stadium, Pune
- Date & Time: May 14, 2022, at 7.30 PM IST
Kolkata vs. Hyderabad Match 61 Probable Playing XIs
V. Iyer, A. Rahane, N. Rana, S. Iyer (C), S. Billings (WK), A. Russell, R. Singh, S. Narine, T. Southee, U. Yadav, V. Chakravarthy
A. Sharma, K. Williamson (C), R. Tripathi, A. Markram, N. Pooran (WK), W. Sundar, S. Singh, M. Jansen, B. Kumar, T. Natarajan, U. Malik
Hyderabad vs Kolkata HEAD-TO-HEAD RECORD
|Matches||Kolkata Wins||Hyderabad Wins||Tie/NR|
|Indian T20 League||13||8||1|
|Last 5 Matches||4||1||0|
*Kolkata won in the Super Over (2020)
Despite it being summer in Pune, the players should enjoy pleasant weather, with the temperature around 26 °C at the start of play.
Pitch Report For Kolkata vs. Hyderabad Match
Pune’s matches have followed a definite pattern this season. Nothing over 170 has been chased, while a total as low as 144 has been defended (twice).
This is one venue where the side batting first has had a clear advantage, with 9 wins from 12 matches.
TOP FANTASY PICKS For Kolkata vs. Hyderabad Match
- A. Russell continues to be a force of nature even as he struggles with a creaking body. His 281 runs have come at a thrilling strike-rate and there have been 14 wickets too. Too often this season though, he has been a lone warrior.
- T. Southee has played only 7 of the 12 matches, but been excellent whenever he’s got the opportunity. His vast experience with New Zealand has shown while taking 12 wickets at a superb economy rate of 7.22.
- S. Narine no longer runs through batting sides with his mystery spin. You could argue that the mystery too is long gone. Despite that, he remains incredibly hard to hit. He has just 8 wickets, but the economy rate of 5.22 is just sensational.
- A. Markram has seen his performances dip in recent games, but he still has 326 runs at a healthy strike-rate of 142.98. He was the one who finished Kolkata off earlier this season.
- R. Tripathi has been quietly impressive in the top order, even more so given how miserably K. Williamson has batted. His 308 runs for the season have come at an exceptional strike-rate of 164.70. Like the rest of the team though, has lost some form at a key time.
- T. Natarajan has missed Hyderabad’s last 2 defeats. After a slow start to the season, he has been Hyderabad’s main threat, with 17 wickets and an economy rate of 8.65. If he can make his first appearance since May 1, it may also lift some of the pressure on U. Malik to deliver.
Kolkata vs. Hyderabad Match HOWZAT DREAM TEAM
- Wicketkeeper: N. Pooran
- Batters: S. Iyer, N. Rana, A. Rahane, R. Tripathi
- All-rounders: A. Russell, A. Markram
- Bowlers: T. Natarajan, B. Kumar, T. Southee, V. Chakravarthy
- Captain: A. Russell/T. Southee
- Vice Captain: T. Natarajan/N. Pooran
NOTE: The Howzat dream team above is just a suggestion. You can select your own team from today’s fantasy match prediction and play all the fantasy cricket matches of the Indian T20 League 2022. Also, don’t forget to make any necessary changes to your team once the actual playing 11 is announced by each team (30 minutes before the start of the match) as some players you have selected might not be part of the team playing.
Download the favorite fantasy cricket app and select your own team, Howzat!