SRI LANKA VS. AUSTRALIA: 2nd ODI, MATCH PREVIEW, TOP PICKS AND FANTASY CRICKET TIPS
The narrow loss in the opening ODI may have been Sri Lanka’s 5th in succession against Australia, but there was plenty of encouragement for the hosts to take from the rain-affected game. The openers and K. Mendis batted beautifully, before W. Hasaranga’s all-round efforts nearly won them the game.
For Australia, whose bowling stocks have been depleted by injury as the tour has gone on, there was a blistering G. Maxwell knock to thank for victory. The pace bowlers may have struggled, but both A. Agar and M. Labuschagne made good use of a spin-friendly pitch. And there were valuable contributions with the bat right down the order. Perhaps the most important one was S. Smith’s half century, which came after a period where his lack of form was under some scrutiny.
Australia will continue to be without M. Marsh, who has a calf strain, and M. Starc, who cut his finger while brushing against his spikes on his follow through during the T20I series. M. Stoinis and A. Agar have joined the injured list too.
Given how the pitch played in the opening game, both sides may look at drafting in an extra spinner. But Australia will also rely on their experienced seam bowlers to use cutters and other tricks to adjust to a sluggish surface. It should make for another close, gripping contest.
- Match: Sri Lanka vs Australia, 2nd ODI
- Venue: Pallekele International Cricket Stadium, Pallekele
- Date & Time: June 16, 2022, at 2.30 PM IST
- Live Streaming: Sony Six Channel and Sony LIV app
SL vs AUS 2nd ODI Probable Playing XIs
Sri Lanka Team
P. Nissanka, D. Gunathilaka, K. Mendis (WK), C. Asalanka, D. de Silva, D. Shanaka (C), W. Hasaranga, C. Karunaratne, D. Wellalage, D. Chameera, M. Theekshana
Sri Lanka vs Australia Head-to-Head ODI Record
|Sri Lanka Won||Australia Won||Tied/NR|
|In Sri Lanka||14||14||3|
|Last 10 Matches||2||8||1|
It will again be fairly cloudy at the start of play, with the temperature around 26°C. There could be a brief thunderstorm later in the day. Extremely high humidity will again be a factor.
SL vs AUS 2nd ODI Pitch Report
Batters on both sides made runs in the opening game, as more than 600 runs were scored in the match. But there was also an extravagant turn for Sri Lanka’s spinners later in the game. It won’t be a great surface for the pace bowlers. The average first innings score in the last 4 ODIs is 288 runs.
Teams batting second have had the edge at this venue, with 17 wins as opposed to 12 losses. That said, Sri Lanka’s decision to bat first in the opening game nearly paid off.
Top Fantasy Picks for SL vs Aus 2nd ODI Match
- P. Nissanka scored a well-compiled half-century in the first ODI but could not convert into a big score. It was his 3rd fitiy in just 13 ODIs. But a strike rate of only 75 needs to improve though, and so does his consistency.
- K. Mendis was the top run scorer in the first match from either side. He scored 86 off 87 balls with the help of 8 boundaries and a six. Mendis has a good record against Australia, making 290 runs in 7 matches at an average of 48.33 with 3 fifties.
- W. Hasaranga performed heroically in the first ODI despite limping through the second-half of the game. His 19-ball 37 took Sri Lanka to 300, and his 4-58 then nearly won them the game. Sri Lanka will need him fully fit for the second game.
- M. Labuschagne has a solid technique and is a good player of spin. He had a decent start to his ODI career, making 585 runs in 17 matches at an average of 36.56 and a strike rate of 90.83. His usefulness with the ball will hold the key for Australia as took 2 wickets in the first game and also scored 24 runs.
- G. Maxwell continued his dominance of Sri Lanka with a bruising 51-ball 80, which transformed a match that was heading the hosts’ way. His strike rate against Sri Lanka is now an eye-popping 154.94.
- J. Hazlewood has somewhat of an off-day in the first ODI, given his recent form with the white ball. He went for 54 runs and took a single wicket in his 10-overs spell. Expect him to get back to his good form from the previous fixtures on this tour.
Key Stats for SL vs Aus Fantasy Cricket
|Player||Stats (This Series)||Howzat Fantasy Points|
|K. Mendis (WK)||86 runs||112 points|
|M. Labuschagne (BAT)||24 runs and 2 wickets||79 points|
|W. Hasaranga (ALL)||37 runs and 4 wickets||175 points|
|G. Maxwell (ALL)||80 runs||112 points|
|M. Theekshana (BOWL)||1 wicket||37 points|
Suggested Howzat Team for Sri Lanka vs Australia Fantasy Cricket
- Wicketkeeper: K. Mendis
- Batters: C. Asalanka, P. Nissanka, D. Warner, M. Labuschagne
- All-rounders: G. Maxwell, D. Wellange
- Bowlers: M. Theekshana, J. Hazlewood, M. Swepson, P. Cummins
- Captain: P. Cummins/G. Maxwell
- Vice Captain: K. Mendis/C. Asalanka
NOTE: The Howzat dream team above is just a suggestion. You can select your own team from today’s fantasy match prediction and play all the fantasy cricket matches of the Australia Tour of Sri Lanka 2022. Also, don’t forget to make any necessary changes to your team once the actual playing 11 is announced by each team (30 minutes before the start of the match) as some players you have selected might not be part of the team playing.
Download one of the favorite fantasy apps and select your own team, Howzat!