As the entertaining group stage got over, the knockout stage of the Women’s T20 Bash 2020 is upon us. In the first of the two semifinals, first-placed Melbourne S take on fourth-placed Perth S at the North Sydney Oval on Wednesday evening.
Melbourne S has been the best side of the group stage, topping the table with 19 points from 14 league games. This is the first time they have qualified for the knockout stage of the tournament.
Captain M Lanning has led the team well, with useful contributions from experienced players like E Villani and N Sciver. Melbourne S have been heavily reliant on their top order throughout the tournament to post huge totals or to chase down targets.
On the other hand, Perth S have struggled their way to the top four, qualifying based on a better net run rate compared to Sydney S. They won six games and accumulated 14 points from 14 games.
Although they have one of the strongest opening pairs, B Mooney and S Devine, in the tournament, the struggles have mainly been due to their inconsistent middle order. The team needs their other experienced players like A Jones and N Bolton to find form and contribute. A win here will catapult Perth S into their first final in four years.
In the two group fixtures between these two sides, Melbourne S have enjoyed the upper hand against Perth S by beating them in both the games. While it was an 8-wicket comfortable win in the first game thanks to M Lanning’s unbeaten fifty, the second game was more close with the margin of victory being just 6 runs. M Lanning scored a fifty in this game too. Perth S will look to bounce back and make amends in this all-important clash.
With a place in the final on the line, expect an exciting clash between the two sides at the North Sydney Oval.
- Match: Melbourne S vs. Perth S, Semi-Final 1
- Venue: North Sydney Oval, Sydney
- Date & Time: Nov. 25, 2020 at 1.40 PM IST
Probable Playing XI
Melbourne S Women
M Lanning (C), E Villani, M du Preez, N Sciver, A Sutherland, A Lanning, T Flintoff, N Faltum (wk), S Day, A King, K Brunt
Perth S Women
B Mooney (WK), S Devine (C), A Jones, C Piparo, N Bolton, M Carmichael, J Barsby, T Peschel, S Glenn, P Cleary, S Betts
Weather & Pitch Report
There are no chances of rain, although it will be a little cloudy, during the match on Wednesday. The temperature will be in the low 20s during the evening.
In the past few games at this venue, the wicket has been good for strokeplay. The average first innings total in the ten completed games has been 150.
The wicket plays slightly better under the lights in the second innings, helping teams chase down massive totals. In the four games played here a few days back, the chasing team won three times. The team batting first should look to get a total of around 160-170 runs on the board.
- M Lanning has been the top run-scorer for Melbourne S with 458 runs including six fifties. She has made her runs at an average of 4 and a strike rate of 128.
- M du Preez has scored 341 runs at a strike rate of 125 including four fifties. She also scored a fifty the last time she came up against Perth S.
- N Sciver has been the highest wicket-taker of the tournament with 18 wickets. She has bowled at an economy of 6.97. She has also scored 194 runs at a strike rate of 130.
- B Mooney has been the top run-scorer of the tournament with 524 runs from 13 matches including four fifties. She has scored her runs at a strike rate of 119.
- S Glenn has been Perth’s best bowler with 16 wickets from 13 matches. She has bowled at an average of 18 and an economy of 6.04, with the best of 4/18.
- T Peschel has picked up 13 wickets in 13 matches at an economy of 5.95. She has been impressive with her pace and accuracy in the tournament so far.
Howzat Dream Team
- Wicketkeeper: B Mooney
- Batters: M Lanning, M du Preez, C Piparo, A Jones
- All-rounders: N Bolton, N Sciver
- Bowlers: S Glenn, S Day, T Flintoff, T Peschel
- Captain: N Sciver/M Lanning
- Vice Captain: S Glenn/B Mooney
NOTE: The Howzat dream team above is just a suggestion. You can select your own fantasy 11, and play fantasy cricket matches. Also, don’t forget to make any necessary changes to your team once the actual playing 11 is announced by each team (30 minutes before the start of the match) as some players you have selected might not be part of the team suggested.
Get fantasy cricket tips on your favorite fantasy sports app and select your own team, Howzat!