- A few tips to help you pick your Howzat team for the Mumbai v Chennai match of the Indian T20 League 2020.
- Defending champions Mumbai face Chennai in Match 1 of the Indian T20 League 2020
Amid the pandemic and after months of uncertainty, Indian T20 League action starts as Chennai takes on defending champions Mumbai in the 2020 season opener on Saturday.
This fixture has been the most common opening match and it is fitting that they face each other in the curtain-raiser, especially after the thrill-a-minute ride they had in the 2019 final. These teams are the most successful in the competition, with as many as seven trophies between them.
However, things haven’t been ideal heading into this edition. With no crowds in a bio-bubble and the social distancing norms, the teams have had to work hard to get back at their best condition after almost no cricket for the last six months or more.
Lasith Malinga has opted out for this edition from the Mumbai team, while Chennai vice-captain Suresh Raina and Harbhajan Singh are the big names to opt-out of this season. However, both teams have settled rosters that are bound to serve them well throughout the tournament.
In perhaps the greatest rivalry in the league, Mumbai has the upper hand with 18 wins, compared to Chennai’s 12. Also, Mumbai has been the winner on all the last 5 occasions. With a very well-balanced squad, Team Mumbai is slight favorites heading into this game. However, you can never write off Dhoni and co, especially at the Sheikh Zayed Stadium, where the spin is expected to play an important part.
With the likes of Hardik Pandya, Jasprit Bumrah and Ravindra Jadeja and big foreign names like Kieron Pollard, Shane Watson and Imran Tahir all set for action, fantasy cricket enthusiasts are in for an absolute treat!
Match: Mumbai vs Chennai, Match 1
Venue: Sheikh Zayed Stadium, Abu Dhabi
Date & Time: Sept. 19, 2020, at 7.30 PM IST
Probable Playing 11
Quinton de Kock (WK), Rohit Sharma (C), Ishan Kishan, Suryakumar Yadav, Kieron Pollard, Hardik Pandya, Krunal Pandya, Nathan Coulter-Nile, Rahul Chahar, Trent Boult and Jasprit Bumrah
Shane Watson, Faf du Plessis, Ambati Rayudu, MS Dhoni (C&WK), Kedar Jadhav, Ravindra Jadeja, Dwayne Bravo, Shardul Thakur, Piyush Chawla, Deepak Chahar, and Imran Tahir
The pitch at the Sheikh Zayed Stadium is a competitive one, with an even contest between bat and ball on the cards.
In 45 T20Is held at the venue, the average first innings score has been 134 with almost equal wins for the teams batting first or chasing.
In seven Indian T20 League games held at this venue in 2014, the average score was 147 with spinners playing a significant role. The pacers should get the ball to move around early on, with the ball skidding on under the lights. Spinners have bowled an average of 6.3 overs per 20 overs at the venue.
- Quniton de Kock and Shane Watson will be important as batting at the top will be comparatively easy and the ball will come on the bat nicely.
- Ambati Rayudu and Suryakumar Yadav can play the roles of sheet anchors with the power hitters to play around them.
- Hardik Pandya and Kieron Pollard can clear the long boundaries easily. Also, Pollard has been in form in the recently concluded Caribbean T20 League with both runs and wickets.
- Jasprit Bumrah and Deepak Chahar will be the key upfront bowlers under lights for both the teams.
- Imran Tahir and Ravindra Jadeja will be key bowlers in the middle overs for Chennai.
Howzat Dream Team
NOTE: The Howzat dream team above is just a suggestion. You can select your own fantasy cricket team by using your knowledge of cricket. Also, don’t forget to make any necessary changes to your team once the actual playing 11 is announced by each team (30 minutes before the start of the match) as some players you have selected might not be part of the playing 11.