In match 9 of the Indian T20 League 2021, defending champions Mumbai take on 2016 champions Hyderabad at the MA Chidambaram Stadium in Chennai on Saturday.
Mumbai came back strongly against Kolkata to defend a small total successfully in their last game. They have a 1-1 record now. S Yadav and skipper R Sharma led the charge with the bat as they shared a 76-run partnership. The innings suffered a batting collapse to finish on 152 runs as the fame middle order failed to make a big contribution. Pacers Bumrah and Boult were excellent with the ball and never gave away easy runs in the final overs. Spinner R Chahar was the game changer with figures of 4 for 27.
Hyderabad will be kicking themselves for losing the last two matches they should have won fairly easily. They fluffed their chase from a position of strength against Bangalore and fell short of the target by 6 runs. Skipper Warner, M Pandey, and J Bairstow have to do the bulk of the scoring in the coming games. R Khan continues to perform with the ball while Holder was impressive playing his first match of the season. There might be some changes to the playing XI for this match.
Can Hyderabad open their account or will Mumbai get their second consecutive win. Either way, expect a cracking game of T20 cricket on a super Saturday.
- Match: Mumbai vs. Hyderabad, Match 9
- Venue: MA Chidambaram Stadium, Chennai
- Date & Time: Apr. 17, 2021, at 7:30 PM IST
- Head-to-Head Record: Mumbai (8) – Hyderabad (8)
- Last 5 Games Record: Mumbai (3) – Hyderabad (2)
- Average 1st Innings Score (Last 5 Games): 155 runs
- Chasing Record (Last 5 Games): Won 2, Lost 3
Probable Playing XI
Q de Kock (WK), R Sharma (C), S Yadav, I Kishan, K Pollard, H Pandya, K Pandya, T Boult, R Chahar, M Jansen, J Bumrah
D Warner (C), W Saha (WK), M Pandey, J Bairstow, V Shankar, J Holder, A Samad, R Khan, B Kumar, T Natarajan, S Nadeem
Weather and Pitch Report
Chennai is expected to have clear weather during the match. The temperature will be around 30 degrees during the game.
The pitch at the MA Chidambaram Stadium can be termed as a bowler-friendly one. There is not much movement for the pacers, and the lengths will be key on this surface. The new ball will come onto the bat nicely and the batsmen will look to make the most out of it. As the match progresses, the ball will grip the surface more, assisting the spin bowlers.
Out of the 4 matches played here so far, 3 have been won by the team batting first. So, the captain that wins the toss will look to bat first. The first-innings score of around 170 runs should be a competitive one.
Top Fantasy Picks
- Q de Kock was back in the team after and was dismissed cheaply for just 2 runs. He was the second-highest run-scorer for Mumbai last season, with 503 runs in 16 matches. He will look to make an impact at the top of the order here.
- S Yadav has been phenomenal with the bat scoring 31 and 56 in 2 matches at a good strike rate of 147.75. He is providing the perfect push to the scoring rate in the middle overs. A big innings from him is just around the corner.
- R Chahar bounced back brilliantly in the set after the hammering he got in the first match. He took 4 for 27 in his four overs and turned the math around from a seemingly lost situation. Expect him to enjoy bowling on this track in this match too.
- D Warner will be disappointed by the team’s batting performance in the last game. He scored his 49th half-century in the league and looked in great form at the crease against Bangalore. He will look to stay till the end and finish the game here.
- M Pandey is Hyderabad’s top scorer with innings of 61 and 38 in the two matches. But his low strike rate of 119.27 is a subject of concern this year. Expect him to play a quick-fire knock in this game.
- R Khan has bowling figures of 2/18 and 2/24 in the two matches played so far. On a slow Chennai wicket, he will be a tough bowler to face. He also scored a superb cameo in the last match’s run chase, in a losing cause though.
Howzat Dream Team
- Wicketkeepers: Q de Kock, J Bairstow
- Batsman: D Warner, M Pandey, S Yadav
- All-rounders: J Holder, K Pollard
- Bowlers: J Bumrah, R Chahar, R Khan, S Nadeem
- Captain: K Pollard/S Yadav
- Vice Captain: D Warner/J Holder
NOTE: The Howzat dream team above is just a suggestion. You can select your own fantasy 11, and play all the fantasy cricket matches from the Indian T20 League in the coming days. Also, don’t forget to make any necessary changes to your team once the actual playing 11 is announced by each team (30 minutes before the start of the match) as some players you have selected might not be part of the team suggested.
Get fantasy cricket tips on your favorite fantasy sports app and select your own team, Howzat!