Match 32 of the Indian T20 League 2020 pitches two former champions Mumbai and Kolkata against each other at the Sheikh Zayed Stadium on Friday.
Mumbai have operated like a well-oiled machine and have a potential champion look to their team. With five wins in seven matches, they sit in second place in the points table. Their opponents, Kolkata, looked well in patches and are in fourth place with four wins in seven matches.
When these two teams met in match 5 of the tournament, Mumbai emerged victorious by 49 runs. R Sharma scored a masterful 80 and the pace attack of Bumrah, Boult, and Pattinson picked up 3 wickets each.
Mumbai have several match-winners in their line-up. Five different players have won Man of the Match awards in their five wins. With no injury worries, they are favorites for the match as well as the tournament.
On the other hand, Kolkata had a few dominant games, and a few come-from-behind wins. But the worry seems to be the manner of losses they had in the season. Their 82-run loss against Bangalore raised more questions about the combinations and the balance of the side.
S Gill continues to be solid at the top of the order and is the only Kolkata player in the top 10 of the Orange Cap race. N Rana has had a disappointing run so far and would like to prove his worth against his former team. With S Narine’s bowling action on the warning list, he may continue to sit out of the playing XI. Chris Green may get an opportunity in his place.
The head-to-head record of the two teams does not give much confidence to Kolkata, with just 6 wins in 26 matches. With the tournament fast approaching the business end, they will hope to get over Mumbai this time and get two points.
- Match: Mumbai vs. Kolkata, Match 32
- Venue: Sheikh Zayed Stadium, Abu Dhabi
- Date & Time: Oct. 16, 2020, at 7.30 PM IST
Probable Playing XI
Q de Kock (WK), Rohit S (C), S Yadav, I Kishan, K Pollard, H Pandya, K Pandya, J Pattinson, R Chahar, T Boult, J Bumrah
S Gill, R Tripathi, T Banton, N Rana, E Morgan, D Karthik(C & WK), A Russell, P Cummins, K Nagarkoti, V Chakravarthy, P Krishna
Another competitive game between bat and ball awaits the two sides at the Sheikh Zayed Stadium on Friday. With movement available off the surface, the bowlers have enjoyed a lot of success here. While the pacers have made good use of the extra bounce and swing on offer, the spinners have done well as well in the recent games at this venue.
With the pitch slowing down a little as the game progresses, wickets in hand will be crucial for both sides. Both teams will ideally look to bat first with the conditions unlikely to change much.
The average first innings score is 169 in the ten matches played at this venue so far. So anything above 170 should be a good score at this venue.
- R Sharma has two fifties and three single-digit scores in the seven matches. He will be looking to score big in this game.
- S Yadav is the highest scorer for Mumbai this season, with 233 runs in seven games. With two back-to-back fifties in the last two matches, he is a batsman in form.
- J Bumrah has returned to his best after looking rusty in the initial few matches. He has 8 wickets in his last four matches.
- S Gill has 254 runs in his seven innings with two fifties. With the pitch suiting his style of batting, he will be a key player for Kolkata.
- E Morgan is the second-highest run scorer for Kolkata this season. With favorable match-ups against the Mumbai spinners, expect him to go big in this match.
- The Abu Dhabi pitch is the most helpful of the three venues for the seamers and P Cummins will be keen to take advantage of that.
Howzat Dream Team
- Wicketkeeper: D Karthik
- Batsmen: S Gill, E Morgan, S Yadav, R Sharma
- All-rounders: A Russell, K Pandya
- Bowlers: P Cummins, T Boult, J Bumrah, V Chakravarthy
- Captain: R Sharma/E Morgan
- Vice Captain: J Bumrah/ A Russell
NOTE: The Howzat dream team above is just a suggestion. You can select your own fantasy cricket team on the fantasy app by using your knowledge. Also, don’t forget to make any necessary changes to your team once the actual playing 11 is announced by each team (30 minutes before the start of the match) as some players you have selected might not be part of the fantasy 11.