In the second match of a doubleheader Sunday in the Indian T20 league 2020, defending champions Mumbai take on Punjab at the Dubai International Stadium in match 36.
A battle of first vs. last. No two teams can have more contrasting fortunes. Mumbai are on a five-match winning streak and are sitting at the top of the points table. They have won six out of their eight matches, while Punjab is at the bottom of the table with just two wins in the tournament so far.
These two teams met earlier this season in match 13. Mumbai won the match by 48 runs. R Sharma scored his second fifty of the season and the pair of K Pollard and H Pandya scored 75 runs in the last five overs. From Punjab, N Pooran fought a lone battle and scored quick 44 runs off 27 balls.
Mumbai have played only 13 players till now. This indicates the strength and contributions of everyone in the team. They will look to rotate a few players to keep everyone fresh and match-ready.
For Punjab, this has been a strange season. Their openers are the top two players in the Orange Cap standings but they have won only two games. L Rahul and M Agarwal have batted on a different level but no significant contributions have come from anyone else. The team will hope that with C Gayle in the batting line-up now, things will be different from here on.
Mumbai are slightly ahead in the head-to-head record with 14 wins in comparison to Punjab’s 12 wins. With two valuable points at stake, one can expect another thrilling encounter at the Dubai International Cricket Stadium.
- Match: Mumbai vs. Punjab, Match 36
- Venue: Dubai International Stadium, Dubai
- Date & Time: Oct. 18, 2020, at 7.30 PM IST
Probable Playing XI
Q de Kock (WK), Rohit S (C), S Yadav, I Kishan, K Pollard, H Pandya, K Pandya, N C-Nile, R Chahar, T Boult, J Bumrah
L Rahul (C & WK), M Aggarwal, C Gayle, N Pooran, G Maxwell, D Hooda, C Jordan, M Ashwin, M Shami, R Bishnoi, A Singh
The average scores have dropped in the tournament with no scores above 200 in the last ten matches. Fourteen matches have been played at the Dubai International Cricket Stadium so far and the surface is showing signs of slowing down.
Pacers have enjoyed extra bounce and swing early on and spinners have dominated the middle phase of the innings. Also, the dimensions of the ground make running between the wickets important while batting.
Dew is expected to have an impact on the second innings, yet both teams would ideally want to bat first on winning the toss. If the recent results are any indication, anything above 160 runs is a good score.
- Q de Kock scored his third fifty in his last four matches. He is the highest run scorer for the team now and is the batsman in form.
- K Pollard had a quiet few games since his exploits against Punjab in the reverse fixture. He will like to repeat that.
- R Chahar has picked up 9 wickets in the tournament and with pitches aiding the spinners more and more, he will be looking to pick up more wickets.
- M Agarwal is having a dream season this year. In eight matches, he has scored 382 runs at an average of 47 and a strike rate of 161. This includes one hundred and two fifties.
- C Gayle showed what the team was missing all this time. With a fifty in his very first match of the season, he will like to dominate the opposition’s bowling.
- M Ashwin has played only 3 matches in the season and is the third-highest wicket taker for the team. He has picked up 6 wickets at an economy rate of just over 7.
Howzat Dream Team
- Wicketkeepers: L Rahul, Q de Kock
- Batsmen: M Agarwal, C Gayle, S Yadav
- All-rounders: K Pandya, K Pollard
- Bowlers: M Ashwin, M Shami, J Bumrah, R Chahar
- Captain: Q de Kock/M Agarwal
- Vice Captain: C Gayle/J Bumrah
NOTE: The Howzat dream team above is just a suggestion. You can select your own fantasy cricket team, play fantasy cricket, and win cash daily. Also, don’t forget to make any necessary changes to your team once the actual playing 11 is announced by each team (30 minutes before the start of the match) as some players you have selected might not be part of the fantasy 11.