NEW ZEALAND VS. WEST INDIES: WI’S TOUR OF NZ 2020, 2nd Test | MATCH PREDICTION AND FANTASY CRICKET TIPS
In the final game of the tour, New Zealand take on the West Indies in the second Test at the Basin Reserve in Wellington starting Friday morning.
New Zealand outclassed the West Indies in every facet of the game to win the first Test comfortably by an innings and 134 runs. They will look to continue their dominant home run and extend their winning streak. Also, they will occupy the third spot in the Test Championship points table with a win in this match, leapfrogging into a position above England.
K Willaimson led from the front with his career-best innings of 251 runs and helped New Zealand put up a mammoth first innings score. T Latham, R Taylor, and K Jamieson played vital knocks in partnership with Williamson. The bowlers bowled brilliantly and bowled out the visitors twice inside 125 overs to win the match easily. N Wagner picked up 6 wickets while T Southee and K Jamieson chipped in with 5 and 4 wickets, respectively.
On the other hand, the West Indies will be disappointed by their performance in the first Test. Barring the 53-run opening partnership by Campbell-Brathwaite in the first innings and a partnership of 156 runs by J Blackwood-A Joseph in the second innings, the West Indies batting unit fell like ninepins. The team will be without K Roach and S Dowrich in this match. J de Silva will take on the wicketkeeping duties while C Holder will join the pace department.
If things are not going your way, Test cricket can be a long and cruel game. The West Indies have the talent to challenge the Black Caps if they play to their potential. Expect a cracking game at the Basin Reserve to end the tour.
- Match: New Zealand vs. West Indies, 2nd Test
- Venue: Basin Reserve, Wellington
- Date & Time: Dec. 11, 2020, at 3.30 AM IST
Probable Playing XI
W Young, T Latham, K Williamson (C), R Taylor, H Nicholls, T Blundell (WK), D Mitchell, T Southee, T Boult, K Jamieson, N Wagner
K Brathwaite, J Campbell, D Bravo, S Hetmyer, R Chase, J Blackwood, J Holder (C), J de Silva (WK), C Holder, S Gabriel, A Joseph
Weather and Pitch Report
Wellington is expected to have slightly overcast conditions on the first day and bright and sunny weather on the remaining 4 days of the match. Also, heavy winds are a norm at this venue. No rain is forecasted during the game.
The pitch at the Basin Reserve shouldn’t be too different from the one at Seddon Park, with the bowlers expected to enjoy the seaming and windy conditions. There should be a good amount of swing on offer with the new ball and extra bounce off the surface.
Wellington can be a tough place to start your innings, but it gets easier as the batsmen spend time in the middle. Expect the pacers to do most of the blowing as there will be very little turn available for spinners. The team winning the toss would like to make first use of the helpful bowling conditions.
- K Williamson gave a masterclass in how to bat on a green wicket on the first day of a Test. His innings of 251 runs batted the visitors out of the game. He averages 66.88 in the 13 matches played here, with 3 centuries. His previous highest score of 242* came at this same venue.
- R Taylor missed out on a big score in the last game. He has a good record at the Basin Reserve with 1270 runs at an average of 63.5, including 3 centuries.
- K Jamieson put on an all-round performance of 4 wickets and 51 runs and continued an impressive start to his international career. He has the potential to develop into a good all-rounder soon. Expect him to have a good game here as well.
- D Bravo is the best batsman on the West Indies team in terms of the quality and ability to score big. He will do well to remember his mammoth innings of 218 against the hosts and repeat the same here.
- J Holder failed to have much of an impact in the last game, scoring just 33 runs and failing to take any wickets. He is a crucial player as his performance directly impacts the way his team plays.
- A Joseph will share the new ball in this match. Although he took just one wicket in the first match, the lines he bowled were good. He batted well for his 86 runs in partnership with J Blackwood.
Howzat Dream Team
- Wicketkeepers: T Blundell
- Batsmen: K Williamson, W Young, R Taylor, D Bravo, K Brathwaite
- All-rounders: J Holder
- Bowlers: N Wagner, T Boult, K Jamieson, A Joseph
- Captain: R Taylor/K Williamson
- Vice Captain: T Boult/K Jamieson
NOTE: The Howzat dream team above is just a suggestion. You can select your own fantasy 11, and play real cricket online matches. Also, don’t forget to make any necessary changes to your team once the actual playing 11 is announced by each team (30 minutes before the start of the match) as some players you have selected might not be part of the team suggested.
Get fantasy cricket tips on your favorite fantasy sports app and select your own team, Howzat!