Team Punjab faces Team Bangalore in Match 6 of the Indian T20 league 2020 on Thursday.
Everyone on the two teams has played their first match and had a proper look at the conditions. Rustiness of not playing in these pandemic times cannot be the excuse for bad performance anymore.
Chasing a modest total by T20 standards in the first match, everyone in the Punjab lineup looked in a hurry apart from Mayank Agarwal. His innings should be a benchmark for the type of innings one should be playing in these conditions. Taking one’s time in the middle and then flexing one’s muscles should be the strategy. His knock deserved to be on the winning side but as this form of the game is unpredictable, he fell short by just a single run (amid a very controversial one).
Shami was brilliant with the new ball. Cottrell is a genuine wicket-taker in this form of the game, and he showed why. Chris Jordan, usually dead accurate in the death overs, was taken to the cleaners by Stoinis in the match. Ravi Bishnoi was impressive with his variations and control in his first match in the league.
Devdutt Padikkat, rated highly by the Bangalore think tank, lived up to the hype and hit a classy half-century on his debut, breaking a lot of records in the process. Aaron Finch looked solid while he was in the middle. Punjab has more pace and variations in their bowling, which he will have to counter in this match.
Kohli missed out on this match. But thanks to AB and his pyrotechnics, Bangalore put up a decent total, which they defended with some help from the Hyderabad batsmen. Chahal looked the most dangerous of bowlers, and Navdeep Saini was excellent in the death overs.
In the 23 matches played between the two teams, the head-to-head record reads 12-11 in favor of Punjab. However, Bangalore has been victorious on the last three occasions these two sides met.
Can Punjab overcome their heartbreak and controversy of the first match, or will Bangalore be able to add to their first match victory?
- Match: Punjab vs. Bangalore, Match 6
- Venue: Dubai International Stadium, Dubai
- Date & Time: Sept. 24, 2020, at 7.30 PM IST
Probable Playing 11
KL Rahul (C&WK), Mayank Aggarwal, Karun Nair, Nicholas Pooran, Glenn Maxwell, Sarfaraz Khan, Jimmy Neesham, Mohammed Shami, Sheldon Cottrell, Murugan Ashwin, and Ravi Bishnoi
Aaron Finch, Devdutt Padikkal, Virat Kohli (C), AB De Villiers, Josh Philippe (WK), Shivam Dube, Washington Sundar, Umesh Yadav, Dale Steyn, Navdeep Saini, and Yuzvendra Chahal
A good batting track is expected at the Dubai International Cricket Stadium on Monday, with the ball coming on to the bat fairly well. However, it could be a touch on the slower side, with this being the third match in the last five days at this venue.
The power play overs are going to be crucial, with spin expected to play a big role in the middle phase. Dew should also have a say in the proceedings, with both sides looking to chase on winning the toss. Based on the two matches played at the venue, a score of 165 looks at par. Each team will like to chase after winning the toss.
- KL Rahul and Virat Kohli both missed out in the first match. Both are stroke players and classy batsmen. One can expect them to go big in this match.
- Yuzvendra Chahal and Navdeep Saini were brilliant in the final ten overs of the Hyderabad innings, picking up five wickets between them. With a fragile batting line-up like Punjab, expect them to pick up wickets again.
- Nicholas Pooran and Glenn Maxwell have been in good form in their recent matches and would want to spend some time in the middle rather than going all guns blazing from the start.
- Sheldon Cottrell bowls at the top and in the death overs and can pick 2-3 wickets in the innings.
- Shivam Dube picked up two cheap wickets in the first match. Pick him if Bangalore bowls second. Otherwise, select Washington Sundar on the team.
- Mayank Agarwal’s manual of batting is the recommended one in these conditions, and he will be at the forefront of that again.
Howzat Dream Team
- Wicket-keeper: KL Rahul
- Batsman: Nicholas Pooran, Mayank Agarwal, Virat Kohli, Aaron Finch
- All-rounders: Glenn Maxwell, Shivam Dube
- Bowlers: Mohammed Shami, Sheldon Cottrell, Yuzvendra Chahal, Navdeep Saini
- Captain: KL Rahul/Virat Kohli
- Vice Captain: Yuzvendra Chahal/Sheldon Cottrell
NOTE: The Howzat dream team above is just a suggestion. You can select your own fantasy cricket team by using your knowledge of cricket. Also, don’t forget to make any necessary changes to your team once the actual playing 11 is announced by each team (30 minutes before the start of the match) as some players you have selected might not be part of the playing 11.