Match 38 of the Indian T20 league has Punjab taking on the table toppers Delhi at the Dubai International Cricket Stadium on Tuesday.
Delhi have won seven of their nine matches this season and are sitting at the top of the points table, whereas Punjab courtesy of their thrilling double Super Over win against Mumbai are in the sixth position with three wins.
The opening pair of L Rahul and M Agarwal are the top run-getters in the league, but Punjab have failed to clinch the crucial moments in a few games. With two close wins in back-to-back games, the team will hope that all the bad luck is behind them now. Chris Gayle is back in the side and better performance is expected from Punjab, for whom each match is do or die.
Despite having some personnel issues, Delhi have coped well, with S Dhawan finding form at the right time. His brilliant century and a cameo in the last over from A Patel took Delhi over the line. However, they will need the likes of A Rahane and Prithvi Shaw to come up with telling contributions, especially with the race for the top four spots intensifying.
The reverse fixture earlier this season witnessed the first Super Over of the season. K Rabada bowled brilliantly in the Super Over, giving away only 2 runs, which Delhi chased down easily. Punjab have been part of a few of the most exciting matches this season, and with two points at stake, this promises to be an exciting encounter.
- Match: Punjab vs. Delhi, Match 38
- Venue: Dubai International Stadium, Dubai
- Date & Time: Oct. 20, 2020, at 7.30 PM IST
Probable Playing XI
L Rahul (C & WK), M Aggarwal, C Gayle, N Pooran, G Maxwell, D Hooda, C Jordan, M Ashwin, M Shami, R Bishnoi, A Singh
S Dhawan, P Shaw, A Rahane, S Iyer (C), M Stoinis, A Carey (WK), A Patel, R Ashwin, K Rabada, A Nortje, T Deshpande
The pitch at the Dubai International Cricket Stadium has slowed down quite a bit. Although the average score in Dubai is around 170, another competitive contest between bat and ball awaits us.
Although the pacers should get some swing off the surface, the spinners will be crucial to the outcome of this game. Considering the square boundaries at this venue, the spinners will look to give the ball more air, which should make for an interesting contest.
Despite the high possibility of dew coming into play in the second innings, both teams will look to bat first on winning the toss. A total of 160-180 should be a par score. Teams chasing have won only four times out of the sixteen matches played at the venue.
- L Rahul continues to score runs for Punjab and has crossed 500 runs in the season. He will be key to tackling the threat of Delhi’s pace attack.
- C Gayle is looking in good form and made sizable contributions in the team’s last two wins. His six in the Super Over against Mumbai helped Punjab cross the line.
- M Shami has picked up 14 wickets in 9 games. He is currently third on the list of Purple Cap standings. Also, he has 4 wickets in the last two wins for Punjab.
- S Dhawan has scored 227 runs in his last three matches, which includes one century and two fifties. He is in red-hot form and is a must on the team.
- In the four matches played in Dubai by Delhi, M Stoinis had his best batting performances and scored two fifties. Expect him to play a bigger role in R Pant’s absence.
- A Patel has figures of 1/14, 1/18, 2/18, and 1/32 in the four matches he has played at Dubai. Expect him to bowl a similar spell in this match.
Howzat Dream Team
- Wicketkeeper: L Rahul
- Batsmen: S Dhawan, P Shaw, C Gayle, M Agarwal
- All-rounders: A Patel, M Stoinis
- Bowlers: T Deshpande, A Nortje, M Ashwin, M Shami
- Captain: L Rahul/ S Dhawan
- Vice Captain: A Nortje/ M Agarwal
NOTE: The Howzat dream team above is just a suggestion. You can select your own fantasy cricket team, on the fantasy cricket website, and win cash daily. Also, don’t forget to make any necessary changes to your team once the actual playing 11 is announced by each team (30 minutes before the start of the match) as some players you have selected might not be part of the fantasy 11.