Match 13 of the Indian T20 league 2020 has multiple-time champions Mumbai locking horns with trophyless Punjab at the Sheikh Zayed Stadium on Thursday.
Both sides come into this match with a similar record of 1 win, 2 losses, and occupy the middle places in the points table. This match becomes important for both the teams because a 3rd loss so early in the season will be difficult to handle.
Punjab has played good cricket in all the three matches and has been unlucky to end up on the losing side on two of the occasions. Against Delhi, they lost in the super over and in the other match, Rajasthan made the highest successful run chase in the history of the tournament.
L Rahul and M Agarwal have been in superb form in the three matches played by them and are 1st and 2nd on the Orange Cup list. Similarly, M Shami, S Cottrell, and R Bishnoi have been among the wickets column and occupy 3 of the top 7 places in the Purple Cap contender list.
Not much contribution has been needed as yet from the rest of the batting unit, but the likes of N Pooran and G Maxwell would like to score some big runs soon in the coming weeks.
Mumbai has played hot and cold in their 3 matches. They looked a little rusty in the first match of the tournament but gave a good performance in the second match against Kolkata, but were again back to ordinary with the bat and the ball against Bangalore.
I Kishan was back in the side because of S Tiwary’s injury and showed his class by scoring a brilliant 99 against Bangalore. And with Pollard, they almost pulled off an almost impossible run chase, only to end up losing in the super over.
Mumbai will feel at ease, looking at the head-to-head record of the two teams, which reads 13-11 in Mumbai’s favor. The recent record is also pretty even with Mumbai winning 3 of the last 5 matches between the two teams. However, Punjab has been playing some good cricket in the tournament and will be looking to get over the disappointment of two close losses.
With both sides looking to climb up the points table, we should be in for another thriller in what has been a thoroughly entertaining Indian T20 league so far.
- Match: Punjab vs. Mumbai, Match 13
- Venue: Sheikh Zayed Stadium, Abu Dhabi
- Date & Time: Oct. 1, 2020, at 7.30 PM IST
L Rahul (C & WK), M Aggarwal, K Nair, N Pooran, G Maxwell, Sarfaraz K, J Neesham, M Ashwin, M Shami, S Cottrell, R Bishnoi
Q de Kock (WK), Rohit S (C), S Yadav, I Kishan, Kieron Pollard, Hardik Pandya, K Pandya, J Pattinson, R Chahar, T Boult, J Bumrah
A very competitive game awaits at the Sheikh Zayed Stadium on Tuesday. The pacers have found some swing early on and used the pace in the pitch well in all the matches at this venue, although batting against the new ball in the power play overs is relatively easier.
As the innings progresses, the spinners will come into play, making for an exciting contest between the bat and the ball.
The average first innings score at this venue this season has been 167 runs, with the chasing team winning twice. With the dew effect in the run chase, the captain winning the toss will probably opt to bowl first.
- L Rahul and M Agarwal are in great form. Expect them to score big runs again.
- G Maxwell is yet to score big in the tournament. One can expect him to score in this match.
- M Shami, S Cottrell, and R Bishnoi have picked up wickets, and with the pitch assisting pacers and large boundaries, the trio becomes important picks.
- Q de Kock, Rohit S, and S Yadav have played their highest knocks of the tournament on this ground. And with batting easy at the top, expect them to score runs in this match as well.
- T Boult and J Pattinson troubled the Kolkata batsmen with the pace and bounce in their second match. They will be crucial if Mumbai wants to restrict a power-packed Punjab batting line-up.
Howzat Suggested Dream Team
- Wicketkeeper: KL Rahul, Q De Kock
- Batsmen: M Agarwal, R Sharma, S Yadav
- All-rounders: G Maxwell
- Bowlers: R Bishnoi, S Cottrell, M Shami, T Boult, J Pattinson
- Captain: M Agarwal/R Sharma
- Vice Captain: S Cottrell/ M Shami
NOTE: The Howzat dream team above is just a suggestion. You can select your own fantasy cricket team by using your knowledge of cricket. Also, don’t forget to make any necessary changes to your team once the actual playing 11 is announced by each team (30 minutes before the start of the match) as some players you have selected might not be part of the playing 11.