Rajasthan is back in action in match 9, facing the red-hot Rahul-led Punjab team at the Sharjah Cricket Stadium on Sunday.
Rajasthan surprised everyone with the assault on the Chennai bowlers in their match. In the absence of Buttler, Smith opened the batting and was involved in a big partnership with S Samson, who gave a masterclass on easy power.
Buttler is available for this match and will open with Jaiswal. Miller will miss out if team management continues to retain both Archer and T Curran in the playing XI. Expect the likes of Yashasvi Jaiswal and Riyan Parag, who are touted as the ones to watch out for, to fire.
Curran and Archer are natural T20 bowlers and have a lot of variations, which will be key at the venue. Rahul Tewatia held his own when Chennai batsmen were looking to attack and score boundaries.
Team Punjab has a strong opening partnership in place with Mayank Agarwal and KL Rahul scoring big runs in the two matches played by the team. With the likes of Glenn Maxwell and Nicholas Pooran on the team, expect them to go all guns blazing and score big.
Shami, Sheldon Cottrell, and Ravi Bishnoi have been excellent with the ball and have 11 wickets together in the two matches they’ve played so far. They will be crucial with the ball for Punjab. Murugan Ashwin replaced Krishnappa Gowtham in the playing XI and picked up three wickets at the end. Expect him to play in this match too.
Matches between the two sides are close encounters, with the last three matches won by 15 or fewer runs. In 19 head-to-head matches, Rajasthan is slightly ahead with a 10-9 record. However, Punjab has had the upper hand in the recent matches, with wins in 4 out of the last five.
With two valuable points on offer, a cracking encounter awaits at the Sharjah Cricket Stadium.
- Match: Rajasthan vs. Punjab, Match 9
- Venue: Sharjah Cricket Stadium, Sharjah
- Date & Time: Sept. 27, 2020, at 7.30 PM IST
Probable Playing 11
J Buttler, Y Jaiswal, S Samson (WK), S Smith (C), R Uthappa, R Parag, S Gopal, T Curran, J Archer, R Tewatia, and J Unadkat
L Rahul (C&WK), M Aggarwal, K Nair, N Pooran, G Maxwell, Sarfaraz Khan, J Neesham, M Ashwin, Mohammed Shami, S Cottrell, and R Bishnoi
An excellent batting surface is expected at the Sharjah Cricket Stadium. Over 400 runs were scored in the last match played here, with 33 sixes hit in total. Expect the same in this match, given the combination of small boundaries and players in action.
Variations in length and speed will be useful here since everyone will be looking to hit boundaries and score big. Teams chasing at this venue have enjoyed more success, so both teams would ideally look to field first, with anything around 170 being a competitive score.
- KL Rahul and Mayank Agarwal are the two important players at the top for Punjab. Expect them to score good runs once again.
- With small boundaries, Glenn Maxwell does not need many invitations to come to the party. Expect a few shots out of the stadium from him.
- Sheldon Cottrell and Ravi Bishnoi have picked up wickets in the two matches played by Punjab.
- Buttler was in superb form in the recently concluded English international summer and can continue from where he left off in England.
- Steve Smith will again be key with the bat and will play the anchor role.
- Curran can claim wickets with the variations he possesses. He can be a differential pick.
Howzat Suggested Dream Team
- Wicket-keeper: L Rahul, S Samson, J Buttler
- Batsman: M Agarwal, S Smith, Y Jaiswal
- All-rounders: G Maxwell, R Tewatia
- Bowlers: Ravi Bishnoi, S Cottrell, T Curran
- Captain: L Rahul/J Buttler
- Vice Captain: G Maxwell/T Curran
NOTE: The Howzat dream team above is just a suggestion. You can select your own fantasy cricket team by using your knowledge of cricket. Also, don’t forget to make any necessary changes to your team once the actual playing 11 is announced by each team (30 minutes before the start of the match) as some players you have selected might not be part of the playing 11.