Burnley take on Liverpool at Turf Moor in the Premier League on Wednesday evening.
Liverpool found themselves indebted to their goalkeeper Alisson for keeping alive their Champions League qualification hopes. With the score locked at 1-1, the final play of the match at West Brom saw the Brazilian power home a header with the pinpoint accuracy of a striker. They have won each of their last three Premier League games and will look to secure a top-four spot with wins in their final two league matches. A win here will see them replace Leicester in the all-important 4th-place in the league table on goal difference.
A trip to Turf Moor certainly will not prove easy for the Reds against Burnley. The Clarets are safe from relegation this season but sit at a lowly 16th place in the league table. They did not play to their usual standard at the weekend, losing 0-4 to Leeds United. An increased level of performance is expected against Liverpool, who have much more riding on this game than the hosts.
In head-to-head meetings between these two teams, Liverpool have won a massive 56 games as compared to Burnley’s 38 wins. 29 games between them have ended in draws. However, the last three have seen both teams winning one game each and drawing the remaining one.
The previous meeting between the two teams took place in January this year and ended in a massive 1-0 win for the Clarets at Anfield. Ashley Barnes scored the only goal of the match via penalty, securing a rare victory for the visitors at Anfield.
- Burnley could become the first team to achieve a Premier League double over Liverpool since West Ham and Manchester United in 2015-16. The Clarets would become the first team finishing in the bottom half of the table to beat Liverpool twice in the same league season since Blackpool in 2010-11.
- Burnley are winless in their last 9 Premier League home games, their longest ever run without a home win in the top division. The last time Clarets had a longer streak without a home league win was between March and September 1984 (10 games in the third tier).
- Burnley have lost all 4 of their Premier League games with Bailey Peacock-Farrell in goal this season, conceding 14 goals in those games.
- Liverpool have won their final away league game in each of the last two seasons. They’ve not done that in more consecutive campaigns since a run of 3 between 1987-88 and 1989-90.
- Liverpool have won 5 of their 6 Premier League away games against Burnley, winning their last 3 at Turf Moor since a 2-0 loss in August 2016.
- Match: Burnley vs. Liverpool
- Venue: Turf Moor, Burnley
- Date & Time: May 20, 2021 at 12.45 AM IST
- Injured: Robbie Brady, Phil Bardsley, Kevin Long, Dale Stephens
- Doubtful: Nick Pope
- Suspended: None
- Injured: Virgil van Dijk, Joe Gomez, Joel Matip, Jordan Henderson, Naby Keita, Diogo Jota, Ozan Kabak
- Doubtful: James Milner
- Suspended: None
Predicted Starting XI
Bailey Peacock-Farrell (GK); Matthew Lowton, James Tarkowski, Ben Mee, Charlie Taylor; Josh Brownhill, Jack Cork, Ashley Westwood, Dwight McNeil; Chris Wood, Ashley Barnes
Alisson Becker (GK), Trent Alexander-Arnold, Nathaniel Phillips, Rhys Williams, Andrew Robertson; Thiago Alcantara, Fabinho, Georginio Wijnaldum; Mohamed Salah, Roberto Firmino, Sadio Mane
- Burnley form guide: L-W-L-W-L
- Liverpool form guide: W-W-W-D-D
Burnley’s home form is poor and their results have been all over the place this season. Thus, the 4-goal loss against Leeds should not have too much bearing on this game. It is likely to be another hard-fought game in which Liverpool will struggle for goals against their 4-man defense.
This is exactly the type of fixture Liverpool have struggled with this season, but they showcased a champion’s mentality to earn 3 points at West Brom. Expect the same performance here with Champions League football within their reach now.
Howzat Dream Team
- Goalkeeper: Alisson
- Defenders: M Lowton, J Tarkowski, T A-Arnold, R Williams, N Phillips
- Midfielders: A Westwood, S Mane, T Alcantara
- Forwards: A Barnes, M Salah
- Captain: M Salah/S Mane
- Vice Captain: A Barnes/A Westwood
NOTE: The Howzat dream team above is just a suggestion. You can select your own fantasy 11 by using your knowledge and fantasy premier league tips. Also, don’t forget to make any necessary changes to your team once the actual starting 11 is announced by each team (60 minutes before the start of the match) as some players you have selected might not be part of the fantasy 11.
Select your own team and play fantasy football on your favorite fantasy football app, Howzat!