In match two of the Indian T20 League 2021, 3-time winners Chennai take on last season’s runners-up Delhi at the Wankhede Stadium in Mumbai on Saturday.
After last year’s disastrous campaign in which Chennai failed to reach the playoffs for the first time, the team will be fired up to do well this season. R Uthappa is the new addition to the batting department, while S Raina returns after missing the last season. S Thakur has emerged as the leader of the pace attack, which comprises D Chahar, S Curran and D Bravo. The key will be the form of MS Dhoni and R Jadeja, which will decide the team’s fortunes.
Delhi came ever so close to winning the title last year but fell short against the experienced Mumbai team. They have qualified for the playoffs for three consecutive years and will hope to challenge for the trophy this year too. However, it will have to be done without their regular skipper S Iyer, who got injured before the tournament. R Pant will lead the side and will have the likes of S Dhawan, S Smith and A Rahane alongside him to produce the results. The pace duo of K Rabada and A Nortje are in quarantine and will be absent for this game. C Woakes will make his debut for the team.
With both teams looking to kickstart their campaign with a win, expect a cracking game of T20 cricket at the Wankhede on Saturday.
- Match: Chennai vs. Delhi, Match 2
- Venue: Wankhede Stadium, Mumbai
- Date & Time: Apr. 10, 2021, at 7:30 PM IST
- Head-to-Head Record: Chennai (15) – Delhi (8)
- Last 5 Games Record: Chennai (3) – Delhi (2)
- Average 1st Innings Score (Last 5 Games): 170 runs
- Chasing Record (Last 5 Games): Won 4, Lost 1
Probable Playing XI
F du Plessis, R Gaikwad, S Raina, A Rayudu, MS Dhoni (C & WK), M Ali, R Jadeja, S Curran, D Bravo, D Chahar, S Thakur
S Dhawan, P Shaw, S Smith, R Pant (C & WK), S Hetmyer, M Stoinis, C Woakes, R Ashwin, A Mishra, I Sharma, U Yadav
Weather and Pitch Report
Mumbai is expected to have clear weather during the match. The temperature will be around 30 degrees during the game.
The pitch at the Wankhede Stadium is generally very batting-friendly. Batsmen can trust the bounce and play through the line of the ball easily. The small dimensions of the ground also favor the batsmen, resulting in high-scoring games. Pace bowlers get some early movement and extra bounce due to the red clay on the surface. There will be not much spin from the surface but the bounce will be key for the spinners too.
Keeping in mind the dew factor, both captains will look to chase on winning the toss. The results of the last five matches also favor the side batting second. A first innings score of around 190 runs should be a competitive one.
Top Fantasy Picks
- F du Plessis has been a consistent player for Chennai over the past couple of years. He was the highest run scorer of the team last season, making 449 runs in 13 matches at an average of 40.81 and a strike rate of 140.75.
- R Gaikwad was one of the bright points of Chennai’s overall performance in the last edition. He played six innings and scored 204 runs at an average of 51. He ended the season with 3 consecutive half centuries, the first uncapped player to do so.
- S Thakur is having a dream time with the ball, picking up key wickets and winning games for India. He took 22 wickets in his last nine international matches and will look to continue this great form here.
- S Dhawan is a very experienced player in white-ball cricket. He was the second-highest run scorer last year, with 618 runs in 17 matches at an average of 44.14 and a strike rate of 144.73. He will look to regain his form in the shortest format of the game in this match.
- R Pant has been in brilliant form since the tour of Australia. He has been scoring runs in every format consistently and at a pretty good strike rate. He scored 78 and 77 in his last two innings and will be looking to continue his purple patch here against Chennai.
- R Ashwin was the star bowler for India in the recent Test series against England, picking up 32 wickets in four matches, which included three 5-wicket hauls. He took 13 wickets in 15 games for Delhi last season and will take the field with high confidence here.
Howzat Dream Team
- Wicketkeeper: R Pant
- Batsman: F du Plessis, A Rayudu, R Gaikwad, S Dhawan, S Smith
- All-rounders: S Curran, C Woakes
- Bowlers: S Thakur, D Bravo, R Ashwin
- Captain: F du Plessis/S Thakur
- Vice Captain: R Pant/C Woakes
NOTE: The Howzat dream team above is just a suggestion. You can select your own fantasy 11, and play all the fantasy cricket matches from the Indian T20 League in the coming days. Also, don’t forget to make any necessary changes to your team once the actual playing 11 is announced by each team (30 minutes before the start of the match) as some players you have selected might not be part of the team suggested.
Get fantasy cricket tips on your favorite fantasy sports app and select your own team, Howzat!