In match 47 of the Australian T20 League 2020, Hobart H take on Perth S at the Marvel Stadium in Melbourne on Friday evening.
Hobart H are back in the race to qualify for the knockout round as they registered an important win against Sydney T, thanks to their magnificent run chase. A win here against the second-placed Scorchers will put them in second place in the points table.
Chasing a big target of 178, the Hurricanes got off to a terrible start as W Jacks and D Short departed early. However, B McDermott led the charge with his brilliant 96 and he was ably supported by D Malan, who chipped in with a useful 42. Hobart H reached their target with 12 balls to spare. S Boland was the pick of the Hurricane bowlers, picking up four of the five wickets that fell in the Thunder innings.
Perth S immediately recovered from their defeat against the Sixers as they beat Brisbane H by 59 runs to make it six wins in their last seven matches. They are in second place in the points table and look well poised to qualify for the next round.
C Munro hit a brilliant 82, his fourth half century in his last five matches, to help his side put up a total of 174. A superb all-round bowling effort led by F Ahmed saw the Heat batting line-up bowled out for 115. J Richardson, J Behrendorff and A Tye picked up 2 wickets each.
With a difference of just one point between these two teams, the four points earned from a win here can define their season. So It promises to be an exciting contest at the Marvel Stadium.
- Match: Hobart H vs. Perth S, Match 47
- Venue: Marvel Stadium, Melbourne
- Date & Time: Jan. 22, 2020, at 10.35 AM IST
Probable Playing XI
- M Wade, D Short, B McDermott, D Malan, P Handscomb (C & WK), M Owen, T David, N Ellis, S Boland, R Meredith, S Lamichhane
- X-factor substitutes: M Wright, N Winter
- J Roy, L Livingstone, C Munro, J Inglis (WK), M Marsh, A Turner (C), A Hardie, A Tye, F Ahmed, J Richardson, J Behrendorff
- X-factor substitutes: J Paris, C Bancroft
Weather and Pitch Report
The weather is expected to be clear and sunny in Melbourne during the match. The temperature will be around 27 degrees during the game.
The pitch at the Marvel Stadium is quite good to bat on, so the batsmen will have a chance to make a big score. Spinners will get some help from the wicket, especially in the second innings. The average first innings score in the two games played here this season has been 166 runs.
Expect the captain winning the toss to opt to bat first as the wicket seems to slow down a bit as the match progresses. A first innings score of around 170 runs should be a competitive one here.
- B McDermott is the top run scorer for the Hurricanes. He has scored 397 runs this season at an average of 49.62 and a strike rate of 143.32. His 96 off 56 balls paved the way for his team’s successful run chase in the last game. He will look to continue his good form here.
- M Wade returns to the team after an average outing in the recent Test series against India. He has been a prolific scorer for the Hurricanes in the past few seasons and scored 351 runs last season at an average of 50.14.
- S Boland has been exceptional for the Hurricanes this season, picking up 14 wickets in 11 games at an average of 24.35. In the last match, he registered his best figures of 4 for 41 against Sydney T.
- L Livingstone has been superb with the bat in the last few games, making two half centuries. Although he missed out on scoring runs in the last game, he picked up a wicket. Expect him to score quick runs at the top of the order for the Scorchers.
- C Munro is the top run scorer for the Scorchers this season, with 353 runs in ten innings at a strike rate of 132.2. He has scored four half-centuries in his last five innings, with 82 in the last match being his highest.
- J Richardson is the highest wicket taker of the season, with 21 wickets at an economy rate of just 6.28 and an average of 11.52. He has gone wicketless only once in his last 12 games and is expected to pick up wickets here too.
Howzat Dream Team
- Wicketkeepers: M Wade, B McDermott, J Inglis
- Batsmen: C Munro, J Roy, D Malan
- All-rounder: L Livingstone
- Bowlers: J Richardson, A Tye, S Boland, N Ellis
- Captain: C Munro/J Richardson
- Vice Captain: M Wade/D Malan
NOTE: The Howzat dream team above is just a suggestion. You can select your own fantasy 11, and play fantasy cricket matches. Also, don’t forget to make any necessary changes to your team once the actual playing 11 is announced by each team (30 minutes before the start of the match) as some players you have selected might not be part of the team suggested.
Get fantasy cricket tips on your favorite fantasy sports app and select your own team, Howzat!