Second-placed Manchester United are set to take on relegated Fulham at Old Trafford in the Premier League on Tuesday evening.
The Red Devils have suffered defeats in their last two matches to Leicester City and Liverpool. It was the first time that Man Utd lost consecutive games in the league this season. They are currently second in the points table and a win here will seal that spot for them. Manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s focus will be more on the UEFA Europa League final against Villarreal in 10 days.
Fulham, on the other hand, are on a 3-match losing run in the Premier League and are already relegated back to the Championship for the 2021-22 season. They have recorded just 5 victories this whole season, the last of which came in the famous 1-0 success away to Liverpool in March first week. Currently 18th in the points table, the team will still want to give its fans something to cheer for in their final two matches of the season.
In the last 20 head-to-head meetings between these two teams, Manchester United have 16 wins as compared to Fulham’s 2 wins. Only two games have ended in draws. The last five games have seen dominance from Manchester United, winning 4 games and drawing just one back in 2014.
The previous meeting between the two teams took place in January this year and ended in a come-from-behind 2-1 win for United at Craven Cottage. Cavani and Pogba scored for the visitors, while Lookman opened the scoring for Fulham.
- Manchester United have won 18 of their last 22 Premier League matches against Fulham (D2, L2), and are unbeaten in their last 12 games against them in the competition (W10, D2).
- Manchester United have lost their final home league game of the season in just one of the last 13 campaigns, a defeat that came against already-relegated Cardiff City side in 2018-19.
- Fulham have picked up just 4 points from the 42 points available in Premier League away games against Manchester United (W1, D1, L12), winning 3-1 in October 2003 and drawing 2-2 in February 2014.
- Fulham are winless in their last 16 Premier League matches against sides starting the day in the top two of the table (D2, L14) since beating Manchester United 3-0 at Craven Cottage in December 2009. Away from home, Fulham have won just one of their 21 such games (D4, L16), with this win also coming against Manchester United (3-1 in October 2003).
- Manchester United’s Paul Pogba has scored in both of his Premier League games against Fulham (3 goals), including the winner at Craven Cottage in the reverse fixture earlier in the season.
- Match: Manchester United vs. Fulham
- Venue: Old Trafford, Manchester
- Date & Time: May 18, 2021 at 10:30 PM IST
- Injured: Anthony Martial, Phil Jones, Daniel James, Harry Maguire
- Doubtful: None
- Suspended: None
- Injured: Tom Cairney, Terence Kongolo
- Doubtful: None
- Suspended: None
Predicted Starting XI
Manchester United (4-2-3-1)
Dean Henderson (GK), Aaron Wan-Bissaka, Victor Lindelof, Axel Tuanzebe, Luke Shaw; Scott McTominay, Paul Pogba; Bruno Fernandes, Marcus Rashford, Mason Greenwood; Edinson Cavani
Alphonse Areola (GK); Ola Aina, Joachim Andersen, Tosin Adarabioyo, Kenny Tete; Harrison Reed, Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa; Ademola Lookman, Bobby Decordova-Reid, Fábio Carvalho; Aleksandar Mitrovic
- Manchester United form guide: L-L-W-L-W
- Fulham form guide: L-L-L-D-L
Nothing is riding on this match for either side, but Manchester United will be determined to keep the second spot in the points table. Fulham are certainly capable of causing problems, but sustaining that for a whole of 90 minutes has been an issue for them all season.
The gulf in class between the two sides is apparent and that should come in handy for the hosts. Expect a routine victory for Manchester United and all 3 points against Fulham on Tuesday.
Howzat Dream Team
- Goalkeeper: A Areola
- Defenders: A W-Bissaka, V Lindelof, L Shaw
- Midfielders: B Fernandes, P Pogba, A Zambo Anguissa; A Lookman, H Reed
- Forwards: E Cavani, M Greenwood
- Captain: M Greenwood/E Cavani
- Vice Captain: B Fernandes/A W-Bissaka
NOTE: The Howzat dream team above is just a suggestion. You can select your own fantasy football team by using your knowledge and fantasy premier league tips. Also, don’t forget to make any necessary changes to your team once the actual starting 11 is announced by each team (60 minutes before the start of the match) as some players you have selected might not be part of the fantasy 11.
Select your own team and play fantasy football on your favorite fantasy football app, Howzat!