MELBOURNE R VS. SYDNEY T: AUSTRALIAN T20 LEAGUE, MATCH 22 | MATCH PREDICTION AND FANTASY CRICKET TIPS
In match 22 of the Australian T20 League 2020, Melbourne R take on Sydney T at the Metricon Stadium in the Gold Coast on New Year’s evening.
Melbourne R put in a much better display against the Sixers, following a huge loss to Sydney T. They ultimately suffered a narrow 2-wicket loss after having worked themselves into a position to win the match.
Captain A Finch (39) and S Marsh (67) had an opening-wicket partnership of 75 to give a good start to Melbourne R and the team posted 168 for the Sixers to chase. The bowling outfit seemed to have done enough for the win but J Holder plundered 16 runs in the final over to give Sydney the victory. Melbourne R might have lost here but their performance gives them hope for the remaining tournament.
Sydney T made it four wins in a row as they produced a brutal batting display to beat Melbourne S. It was a complete effort with both the bat and the ball in the 75-runs victory.
The Thunder batsmen scored 200 runs for the second time in succession, with A Hales standing out with a brilliant 71. The bowling unit superbly struck down the Stars powerhouse batting. C Green took 4 for 34, accompanied by T Sangha’s 2 for 17 and C Tremain’s 2 for 27. They will look to continue this form here also.
With an in-form Thunder against an improving Renegades side, it promises to be an exciting contest to start the New Year.
- Match: Melbourne R vs. Sydney T, Match 22
- Venue: Metricon Stadium, Gold Coast
- Date & Time: Jan. 1, 2021, at 1.45 PM IST
Probable Playing XI
- A Finch (C), S Marsh, S Harper (WK), R Rossouw, M Nabi, I Wasim, M Harvey, W Sutherland, P Hatzoglou, K Richardson, Z Evans
- X-factor substitutes: B Webster, J Prestwidge
- A Hales, U Khawaja, C Ferguson (C), O Davies, S Billings (WK), B Cutting, D Sams, C Green, A Milne, N McAndrew, T Sangha
- X-factor substitutes: A Ross, B Doggett
Weather and Pitch Report
The weather for the day of the game isn’t quite bright and some thunderstorms are expected during the game. The temperature will be around 23 degrees during the match.
The pitch at the Metricon Stadium is quite good for batting. It’s hard early on and batsmen will enjoy their time batting here. Fast bowlers should get some good bounce early on and the role of spinners will be crucial in the middle overs.
Two matches have already been played at this venue this season. The average first innings score has been 180 runs. The chasing teams have won both the games and with rain expected, batting second should be the ideal choice.
- A Finch has reached double figures in all the four innings he has played in the tournament so far. He has made 106 runs at a strike rate of 126.19. He will look to play a big knock here to bring the second victory for the team.
- S Harper is the third-highest scorer for the Renegades this season. He has scored 98 runs in five matches, with the bulk of the runs coming in one innings of 66* against Hobart. He will look to be more consistent coming in at no. 3 in the batting order.
- K Richardson has been the best bowler for Melbourne this season, picking up 9 wickets at an average of 16.44 and an economy rate of 7.85. He had figures of 2 for 33 in the first game against the Thunder.
- After two consecutive ducks, A Hales has nicely warmed up in this year’s tournament. He has scored 152 runs in five games at a strike rate of 163.44. He scored a superb 71 off just 29 balls in the last game.
- C Ferguson is the top run scorer for Thunder this season. He has scored 197 runs at a strike rate of 126, including 3 half centuries in five matches. He is the in-form batsman for Sydney.
- T Sangha has been the best bowler for Sydney T and has picked up 9 wickets at an average of 13.33 and an economy rate of 6.20. He picked up 4 for 14 last time he came up against the Renegades.
Howzat Dream Team
- Wicketkeepers: S Harper, S Billings
- Batsmen: A Finch, A Hales, C Ferguson
- All-rounders: O Davies
- Bowlers: K Richardson, P Hatzoglou, A Milne, C Green, T Sangha
- Captain: A Milne/C Green
- Vice Captain: C Ferguson/K Richardson
NOTE: The Howzat dream team above is just a suggestion. You can select your own fantasy 11, and play fantasy cricket matches. Also, don’t forget to make any necessary changes to your team once the actual playing 11 is announced by each team (30 minutes before the start of the match) as some players you have selected might not be part of the team suggested.
Get fantasy cricket tips on your favorite fantasy sports app and select your own team, Howzat!