In match one of the Indian T20 League 2021, defending champions Mumbai take on Bangalore at the MA Chidambaram Stadium in Chennai on Friday.
After the last season was played in the UAE, the league has made its return to the home soil. Due to the ongoing pandemic situation, the matches will be played behind closed doors.
Led by R Sharma, 5-time champions Mumbai are one of the most balanced and strongest teams in the tournament. With de Kock unavailable for this game, C Lynn is likely to open the innings alongside the skipper. S Yadav, I Kishan, K Pollard and H Pandya in the middle order have a lot of firepower to smash the bowlers out of the park. The pace duo of Bumrah and Boult is one of the best in the world and can trouble any batsman. R Chahar and K Pandya are likely to be the two spinners in the playing XI.
On the other hand, V Kolhi and Bangalore will take the field looking to end their trophy drought this time. Kohli is slated to open the batting this season alongside debutant M Azharuddeen as Padikkal is unavailable for this match. AB de Villiers, G Maxwell and D Christian will provide the power boost in the middle order. M Siraj, debutant K Jamieson and N Saini are expected to be the pacers in the playing XI. Y Chahal and W Sundar will undertake the spin duties in this game.
Although Mumbai are the clear favorites heading into the game, one cannot take a team that has Kohli and de Villiers lightly. With both teams looking to kickstart their campaign with a win, expect a cracking game of T20 cricket to start the tournament on Friday.
- Match: Mumbai vs. Bangalore, Match 1
- Venue: MA Chidambaram Stadium, Chennai
- Date & Time: Apr. 9, 2021, at 7.30 PM IST
- Head-to-Head Record: Mumbai (19) – Bangalore (10)
- Last 5 Games Record: Mumbai (4) – Bangalore (1)
- Average 1st Innings Score (Last 5 Games): 149 runs
- Chasing Record (Last 5 Games): Won 3, Lost 2
Probable Playing XI
C Lynn, R Sharma (C), S Yadav, I Kishan (WK), K Pollard, H Pandya, K Pandya, T Boult, R Chahar, A Milne, J Bumrah
M Azharuddeen (WK), V Kohli (C), AB de Villiers, G Maxwell, S Baby, D Christian, W Sundar, K Jamieson, M Siraj, N Saini, Y Chahal
Weather and Pitch Report
Chennai is expected to have clear weather during the match. The temperature will be around 30 degrees during the game.
The surface at the MA Chidambaram Stadium is generally a little sluggish and has more assistance for the spin bowlers. Pacers might get movement in the early parts of the match due to the ocean breeze blowing across the stadium. Batsmen will need to spend time at the crease before going on the attack here.
The captain that wins the toss should look to bat first here because it usually becomes difficult to chase in the second innings as the surface gets slow. A first innings score of around 170 runs should be a competitive one.
Top Fantasy Picks
- I Kishan was brilliant in his debut T20I game for India as he scored 56 runs off just 32 balls, including 5 fours and 4 sixes. He had a breakthrough season for Mumbai last year, making 516 runs in 14 matches at an average of 57.33 and a strike rate of 147.75.
- S Yadav also made his international T20I debut in the recent T20I series against England, alongside I Kishan. He set the stage on fire, scoring 89 runs in the two innings played. In the last edition, he made 480 runs in 16 matches at a strike rate of 145.
- T Boult is all set to fire with the ball after a good home summer. He took 12 wickets in eight matches against Australia and Bangladesh. He was the third-highest wicket taker of the last season, with 25 wickets in 15 matches at an average of 18.28.
- V Kohli is in superb form in white-ball cricket with 5 half centuries in the last 7 matches. He was the second-highest run scorer for Bangalore last year, with 466 runs in 15 matches at an average of 42.36. Expect him to continue his purple patch in this match.
- G Maxwell had a decent T20I series against New Zealand, scoring a match-winning 70 in one game and picking up 2 crucial wickets in another. He will look to be a bit more consistent and perform well in the first match for his new team.
- Y Chahal picked up 1 wicket in his last three T20I games against England but was replaced due to an economy rate of almost 10 runs. He was the leading wicket taker for Bangalore last season, with 21 wickets in 15 matches, and will look to gain his confidence back in this match.
Howzat Dream Team
- Wicket-keepers: I Kishan, AB de Villiers
- Batsman: S Yadav, R Sharma V Kohli
- All-rounders: K Pandya, G Maxwell
- Bowlers: T Boult, R Chahar, Y Chahal, K Jamieson
- Captain: I Kishan/S Yadav
- Vice Captain: V Kohli/AB de Villiers
NOTE: The Howzat dream team above is just a suggestion. You can select your own fantasy 11, and play all the fantasy cricket matches from the Indian T20 League in the coming days. Also, don’t forget to make any necessary changes to your team once the actual playing 11 is announced by each team (30 minutes before the start of the match) as some players you have selected might not be part of the team suggested.
Get fantasy cricket tips on your favorite fantasy sports app and select your own team, Howzat!