In match 34 of the Australian T20 League 2020, Perth S take on Sydney T at the Optus Stadium on Saturday evening.
Perth S had an impressive victory over the defending champions Sydney S in the last game. They have now won three successive games and will hope to continue their victory run by winning against the table toppers Sydney T.
The batting unit of Perth S was led by fifties from M Marsh and C Munro. J Inglis and J Roy also chipped in with crucial 20s as they took their team’s total to 183 runs on a tough track. M Marsh scored 57 runs off just 27 deliveries. While chasing, J Philippe and J Vince were dismissed early. Sydney S kept losing wickets at regular intervals and were bowled out for just 97 runs. J Richardson and A Tye shared 7 wickets between them in the last game.
Sydney T made a quick return to winning ways as they beat Hobart H by 39 runs in their last game. They now sit at the top of the points table with 22 points from eight matches.
Although no one scored a half century, U Khawaja, A Ross, and B Cutting made useful contributions to take the Thunder to 167. The Thunder bowlers were good as a unit, with C Green, T Sangha and N McAndrew all taking two wickets each. Sydney T won by a comfortable margin of 39 runs.
As Perth S are starting to get momentum in this middle phase of the tournament and have home advantage in this game, expect another cracking match at the Optus Stadium.
- Match: Perth S vs. Sydney T, Match 34
- Venue: Optus Stadium, Perth
- Date & Time: Jan. 9, 2020, at 1.45 PM IST
Probable Playing XI
- J Roy, L Livingstone, C Munro, J Inglis (WK), M Marsh, A Turner (C), A Hardie, A Tye, F Ahmed, J Richardson, J Behrendorff
- X-factor substitutes: K Patterson, J Paris
- A Hales, U Khawaja, C Ferguson (C), S Billings (WK), A Ross, B Cutting, A Nair, C Green, A Milne, N McAndrew, T Sangha
- X-factor substitutes: O Davies, B Doggett
Weather and Pitch Report
The weather is expected to be clear and sunny during this game with just a few clouds in the sky. The temperature will be around 28 degrees during the match.
The Optus Stadium pitch is slightly on the slower side and the batsmen will struggle to score runs as the match progresses. There should be some early movement and bounce for fast bowlers. Spinners will become important in the second half of the match. The average first innings score in the last three matches played here has been 178 runs.
Teams batting first have won all three recent matches by big margins and the chasing teams have struggled to score freely. Both captains will opt to bat first if they win the toss. A first innings score of around 175 runs should be a competitive one.
- C Munro has scored back-to-back 50s in the last two matches. He will look to add another big score to his name in this match.
- J Inglis has scored 172 runs at a strike rate of 140 in his seven matches. His best score of 72* came against the Renegades two games ago. He will look to match or better that performance here.
- A Tye has picked up 5 wickets in the two matches played here, with the best figures of 4 for 20 in the last game. His slow balls and cutters have been very effective on this pitch and he will look to make a big impact in this match too.
- A Hales has scored 264 runs at a brilliant strike rate of 168. He is in good form and scored 21, 35, 71, and 45 in the last four innings. His aggressive batting at the top helps set up the tone for the rest of the team.
- S Billings has not been able to start the tournament well, scoring only 39 in the last four innings. He will hope for a big knock here coming in the middle order.
- T Sangha has been the find of the season for the Thunder. He is the highest wicket taker of the season with 15 wickets. He has taken 5 wickets in his last two matches and will look to continue his excellent performance with the ball here.
Howzat Dream Team
- Wicketkeepers: J Inglis, S Billings
- Batsmen: C Munro, A Hales, U Khwaja
- All-rounders: M Marsh, B Cutting, A Nair
- Bowlers: J Richardson, A Tye, T Sangha
- Captain: C Munro/J Inglis
- Vice Captain: A Hales/U Khwaja
NOTE: The Howzat dream team above is just a suggestion. You can select your own fantasy 11, and play fantasy cricket matches. Also, don’t forget to make any necessary changes to your team once the actual playing 11 is announced by each team (30 minutes before the start of the match) as some players you have selected might not be part of the team suggested.
Get fantasy cricket tips on your favorite fantasy sports app and select your own team, Howzat!