SOUTH AFRICA VS. PAKISTAN: PAK’S TOUR OF SA 2021, 2nd ODI | MATCH PREDICTION AND FANTASY CRICKET TIPS
Hosts South Africa take on Pakistan in the second ODI of the 3-match series at the Wanderers Stadium in Johannesburg on Sunday. This will be the Pink ODI.
Pakistan overcame last moments’ panic to win the first match and have taken a 1-0 lead in this 3-match series. South Africa would need to make a quick comeback if they hope to avoid a series defeat at home.
Batting first, R van der Dussen and D Miller were the stars for the hosts. Although it was a good start to the innings a top-order collapse and a rebuilding phase allowed them to reach a total of 273 runs. The likes of de Kock, Markram, and captain Bavuma need to make a stronger contribution in the next game. Rabada’s opening spell and Nortje’s inspired 4-wicket spell did put some life into the match, but the others could not capitalize on it. They need to be better in their bowling and fielding efforts in the remaining games.
Pakistan did well to restrict the hosts to a below-par score on a good batting surface, with Afridi and co. picking up wickets at crucial times. However, the star of the match was captain B Azam who struck a brilliant century and put on a big partnership along with opener Imam-ul-Haq. And despite some slip-ups and drama at the end, they chased the total down. They need to continue what they did in the first match if they wish to win the series in this match.
With series on the line for both the teams, an entertaining game of cricket awaits us at the Bullring on Sunday.
- Match: South Africa vs. Pakistan, 2nd ODI
- Venue: Wanderers Stadium, Johannesburg
- Date & Time: Apr. 4, 2021, at 1:30 PM IST
Probable Playing XI
Q de Kock (WK), A Markram, T Bavuma (C), R van der Dussen, D Miller, H Klassen, A Phehlukwayo, K Rabada, A Nortje, L Ngidi, T Shamsi
Imam-ul-Haq, F Zaman, B Azam (C), M Rizwan (WK), D Aziz, A Ali, S Khan, F Ashraf, S Afridi, M Hasnain, H Rauf
Weather and Pitch Report
Johannesburg is expected to have clear weather during the match. The temperature will be around 24 degrees during the game.
The pitch at the Wanderers is known to be a batting paradise in ODIs where some huge totals are scored on a regular basis. Batmen will have a great time on a surface with good bounce whereas the pace bowlers will struggle once the ball loses its shine after the initial phase. Spinners can be effective here as the match progresses. The average first innings score in the last five ODI matches played here has been 220 runs.
Although the last 5 ODIs played here have been won by the chasing teams, the team winning the toss here might look to bat first as the surface will be completely flat. A score of around 300 runs should be a competitive one.
- R van der Dussen scored his maiden ODI century in the last game which changed the complexion of South Africa’s innings. It was an unbeaten knock of 123* runs off 134 balls, which included 10 fours and 2 sixes. He will look to continue form in this match too.
- A Phehlukwayo did well in both the departments of the game in the first match. He scored crucial 29 runs coming down the order and picked up 2 wickets with the ball in the final overs. He will look to contribute in a much bigger way in this match.
- A Nortje was the bowler responsible for taking the game into the final ball of the match for the hosts. In his second spell, he picked up 4 wickets in 4 overs giving away only 11 runs. He will look to put in another great spell of bowling before departing.
- B Azam scored 103 runs from 104 balls, his 13th ODI century, and held the innings together during the run chase. He has an average of 56.66 after playing 78 matches and is a batting superstar in making. He will look to continue from where he left in the last game.
- M Rizwan is slowly becoming the crisis man for Pakistan in all forms of the game. He has made the spot of the wicketkeeper-batsman his own in the team. His knock of 40 runs after the mini-collapse in the middle overs helped his side get over the line in the first match.
- S Afridi was tight and accurate with the new ball in the last game, picking up the important wickets of de Kock and Markram inside the first seven overs of the innings. He will look to improve on his death overs bowling in this match.
Howzat Dream Team
- Wicketkeepers: H Klassen, M Rizwan
- Batsmen: R van der Dussen, A Markram, B Azam, A Ali
- All-rounders: A Phehlukwayo
- Bowlers: L Ngidi, A Nortje, S Afridi, H Rauf
- Captain: B Azam/M Rizwan
- Vice Captain: A Markram/R van der Dussen
NOTE: The Howzat dream team above is just a suggestion. You can make your match prediction and play fantasy cricket matches. Also, don’t forget to make any necessary changes to your team once the actual playing 11 is announced by each team (30 minutes before the start of the match) as some players you have selected might not be part of the team suggested.
Get fantasy cricket tips on your favorite fantasy sports app and select your own team, Howzat!