In match 41 of the Australian T20 League 2020, Sydney S take on Perth S at the Manuka Oval in Canberra on Saturday evening.
Sydney S continue to be on the top of the table as they beat Sydney T by 5 wickets in the last game. They have won seven out of their ten games and have almost qualified for the knockout stage.
Despite a great start by A Hales and a measured innings by D Sams, the Thunder ended up a little short of the desired total. S O’Keefe was the pick of the bowlers for the Sixers as he dismissed A Hales, S Billings, and A Ross. With rain coming down in the interval, Sydney S were given a target of 129 from 14 overs. They chased it down with more than an over to spare, thanks to J Philippe’s brilliant innings of 64 from just 36 balls.
On the other hand, Perth S are also an in-form team in the competition with a five-match win streak. They ended their home stint with an impressive win over Hobart H by 9 wickets in their last game.
The Scorchers’ bowling unit did a great job to limit the strong Hurricanes’ batting line-up to 139. Everyone bowled economically and were in the wickets column. The bowling efforts were overshadowed by the brilliant batting of J Roy and L Livingston, who put on 123 runs for the first wicket. Roy remained unbeaten on 74 and led the Scorchers to a comfortable nine-wicket win.
With two of the in-form sides in the competition going head to head, it promises to be an exciting contest at the Manuka Oval.
- Match: Sydney S vs. Perth S, Match 41
- Venue: Manuka Oval, Canberra
- Date & Time: Jan. 16, 2020, at 1.10 PM IST
Probable Playing XI
- J Philippe (WK), J Edwards, J Vince, D Hughes (C), J Silk, D Christian, C Brathwaite, J Bird, L Pope, S O’Keefe, J Ball
- X-factor substitutes: G Sandhu, H Kerr
- J Roy, L Livingstone, C Munro, J Inglis (WK), K Patterson, A Turner (C), A Hardie, A Tye, F Ahmed, J Richardson, J Behrendorff
- X-factor substitutes: J Paris, C Bancroft
Weather and Pitch Report
The weather is expected to be clear and sunny in Canberra during the match. The temperature will be around 18 degrees during the game.
The Manuka Oval is a good pitch to bat on. The batsmen will target the small square boundaries. The pace bowlers should get some early movement with the ball, and the spinners should get a decent grip from the surface. The average first innings score in the games played here this season has been 163 runs.
The pitch seems a little easier to play on in the second innings. The chasing teams have won the last two games at this venue. Expect the captain winning the toss to opt to field first. A first innings score of around 170 runs should be a competitive one here.
- J Philippe is the top run scorer of the tournament, with 337 runs at a strike rate of 145. He was brilliant in the last game, scoring 66 off just 36 balls, and he chased down the Thunder’s total almost single-handedly.
- D Christian did not pick up any wickets in the last game but was good in the other departments. He took 2 catches and finished off the game for the Sixers, scoring 15 runs off just 5 balls. He will look to put up a big performance in this match.
- S O’Keefe was brilliant in the last game, picking up 3 for 15 in his four overs. He is the highest wicket taker for the Sixers, with 13 wickets at an economy rate of 6.5. He will look to continue his good form against the Scorchers.
- J Roy continued his good form with the bat, scoring a match-winning 74 in the last game. He has scored 212 runs in six innings at an average of 42.4 and will look to give his team a good start against a strong Sixers team.
- A Turner did not have much to do during the Scorchers’ winning run at home. He scored a useful 31 in the only opportunity he got with the bat in the four matches. He will be a key batsman as they move away from the fast and bouncy Perth pitch.
- A Tye is the second-highest wicket taker for the Scorchers this season, with 10 wickets at an average of 21.2. With the pitch at the Manuka Oval being a little slow and two-paced, he will be an important bowler for Perth S in this game.
Howzat Dream Team
- Wicketkeepers: J Philippe, J Inglis
- Batsmen: D Hughes, J Roy, A Turner
- All-rounders: D Christian, C Brathwaite
- Bowlers: S O’Keefe, J Bird, F Ahmed, A Tye
- Captain: D Christian/C Brathwaite
- Vice Captain: A Tye/A Turner
NOTE: The Howzat dream team above is just a suggestion. You can select your own fantasy 11, and play daily fantasy matches. Also, don’t forget to make any necessary changes to your team once the actual playing 11 is announced by each team (30 minutes before the start of the match) as some players you have selected might not be part of the team suggested.
Get fantasy cricket tips on your favorite fantasy sports app and select your own team, Howzat!