In match 48 of the Australian T20 League 2020, Sydney S take on Sydney T at the Adelaide Oval in Canberra on Friday evening. It is the second Sydney Smash of this season.
Sydney S made it three successive victories with a win over Perth S in the last game. They solidified their spot at the top of the ladder and are almost through to the knockout round.
After the Scorchers batsmen got a blistering start, the Sixers bowlers changed the momentum of the game restricting them to 163 runs. C Brathwaite, J Ball, and D Christian picked up 2 wickets each. In the run chase, it was a J Philippe show. He scored 84 and was well supported by J Vince’s half century. The Sixers were able to achieve the target with more than an over to spare.
On the other hand, Sydney T have now lost three straight games, which has put them in a difficult position in the points table. They need to win at least two out of their next three games to make sure they advance to the knockout round.
Apart from a good start from the openers Hales and Khwaja, only S Billings could play a significant innings. Their total of 177 looked like a competitive score. The bowlers started well, removing both the openers early on but a big partnership for the third wicket resulted in Sydney’s six-wicket loss with a couple of overs to spare.
With city bragging rights and four crucial points at stake, it promises to be an exciting contest at the Adelaide Oval.
- Match: Sydney S vs. Sydney T, Match 48
- Venue: Adelaide Oval, Adelaide
- Date & Time: Jan. 22, 2020, at 1.45 PM IST
Probable Playing XI
- J Philippe (WK), M Henriques (C), J Vince, D Hughes, J Silk, D Christian, C Brathwaite, B Manenti, S O’Keefe, S Abbott, J Ball
- X-factor substitutes: L Pope, J Avendano
- A Hales, U Khawaja, C Ferguson (C), S Billings (WK), O Davies, B Cutting, D Sams, C Green, N McAndrew, T Sangha, A Milne
- X-factor substitutes: A Ross, B Doggett
Weather and Pitch Report
The weather in Adelaide is expected to be clear and sunny during the match. The temperature will be around 26 degrees during the game.
The Adelaide Oval is generally a good batting pitch and the batsmen should be able to score freely here. The pitch is likely to get a little slower in the second half of the game, which will help the spinners. The average first innings score in the games played here this season has been 167 runs.
Considering the fact that the pitch gets a little difficult to bat on in the second innings, the captain winning the toss is likely to opt to field first. A total of around 170 runs should be a competitive one here.
- J Philippe is the top scorer of the tournament so far, with 421 runs at an average of 38.27 and a strike rate of 148.76. He has played match-winning knocks of 64 and 84 in the last two games. He will be looking to make it three knocks in the winning cause in a row.
- M Henriques has returned from national duties and is expected to take his place in the playing XI. He scored 267 runs at a strike rate of 148.33 in last year’s tournament. In the recent T20I series against India, he picked up 3 wickets and scored 61 runs in three matches.
- D Christian has provided the Sixers with crucial all-round contributions throughout the season. He has scored 182 runs and picked up 12 wickets in eleven matches. Expect him to give a big performance in this match too.
- A Hales is the highest scorer for Sydney T this season. He has scored 352 runs at an average of 32 and a strike rate of 157.84 and given many quick starts to the team this season. He will be looking to play a big innings here.
- S Billings is starting to look dangerous by each passing match. After a few average games, he has been consistent and scored two half centuries in the last three games. He has scored 187 runs at an average of 31.16 and a strike rate of 139.55.
- T Sangha is having an outstanding debut season for the Thunder. He is their highest wicket taker, with 18 wickets in 11 games at an average of 15.94. He has gone wicketless only once in the tournament. Expect him to take wickets here too.
Howzat Dream Team
- Wicketkeepers: J Philippe, S Billings
- Batsmen: A Hales, C Ferguson, M Henriques, D Hughes
- All-rounder: D Christian
- Bowlers: T Sangha, N McAndrew, J Ball, S Abbott
- Captain: J Philippe/M Henriques
- Vice Captain: A Hales/S Billings
NOTE: The Howzat dream team above is just a suggestion. You can select your own fantasy 11, and play fantasy cricket matches. Also, don’t forget to make any necessary changes to your team once the actual playing 11 is announced by each team (30 minutes before the start of the match) as some players you have selected might not be part of the team suggested.
Get fantasy cricket tips on your favorite fantasy sports app and select your own team, Howzat!