In match 43 of the Australian T20 League 2020, Sydney T take on Hobart H at the Manuka Oval in Canberra on Monday evening.
Although Sydney T lost their last two games including the Sydney Smash, they are still comfortably placed in the second position. They have 23 points from six wins in their ten games. A win here will cement their position in the knockout round of the tournament.
Sydney T scored 166 runs in their allocated 20 overs, with A Hales and D Sams making half centuries. They did not get the required support from the other end as the other batsmen ended with single-digit scores. With 132 runs to defend in 14 overs, the Thunder bowlers bowled good lines but could not stop the Sixers from successfully chasing down the total. D Sams was the pick of the bowlers with 2 for 25.
Hobart H started the tournament well but have lost form in the middle phase of the tournament. With three consecutive losses, they are currently in seventh position in the points table. The Hurricanes have lost three out of their four games this season.
Hobart’s batsmen struggled to build their innings as they kept losing wickets from the start. D Arcy Short scored 54 runs off 47 balls while T David`s 23-ball 31 runs helped the team to post 139 runs. Their bowlers were no match for the opposition and picked up just a solitary wicket. S Boland was the only bowler in the wickets column for them.
With both sides coming with a losing streak here, expect a close contest at the Manuka Oval.
- Match: Sydney T vs. Hobart H, Match 43
- Venue: Manuka Oval, Canberra
- Date & Time: Jan. 18, 2020, at 1.45 PM IST
Probable Playing XI
- A Hales, U Khawaja, C Ferguson (C), S Billings (WK), A Ross, B Cutting, D Sams, C Green, N McAndrew, T Sangha, B Doggett
- X-factor substitutes: O Davies, A Milne
- D Short, B McDermott, D Malan, P Handscomb (C & WK), C Ingram, T David, J Botha, N Ellis, S Boland, R Meredith, S Lamichhane
- X-factor substitutes: M Wright, N Winter
Weather and Pitch Report
The weather is expected to be clear and sunny in Canberra. The temperature will be around 24 degrees during the game.
The Manuka Oval is the most used venue in the tournament so far. This will be the fourth match in the last six days here. The pitch generally has a good balance and has something in it for both batsmen and bowlers. Pace bowlers should get some early movement with the ball and spinners will come into play later. The average first innings score in the games played this season has been 169 runs.
Chasing teams have won the last three matches played here very comfortably. Expect the team winning the toss to field first. A first innings score of around 170 runs should be a competitive one.
- A Hales is the highest scorer for Sydney T this season. He has scored 323 runs at a strike rate of 161.5. He scored a quick-fire 54 runs off 33 balls in the last game. Expect him to continue his superb form in this match too.
- U Khwaja is the third-highest run scorer for the Thunder this season, with 241 runs in ten innings at a strike rate of 135.39. He is yet to score a half century in the tournament and will look to do that here.
- T Sangha is the highest wicket taker of the season for the Thunder with 16 wickets. He has been impressive with the ball and has had the best figures of 4/14. He will look to put up a dominant bowling display against the Hurricanes.
- B McDermott is the top run scorer for the Hurricanes. He has scored 301 runs at an impressive average of 43 and a strike rate of 136.19. He had two ordinary outings at the Perth Stadium and will look to bounce back with a big innings here.
- D Malan has scored 175 runs in his six innings in the tournament at an average of 29.16. He was dismissed for a duck in the last game and will be eager to play a big innings to stop the Hurricanes’ losing streak here.
- N Ellis is the joint-highest wicket taker for the Hurricanes this season. He has taken 12 wickets in ten matches at an average of 24.5. He has been wicketless in the last two games and will look to get back into the wickets column here.
Howzat Dream Team
- Wicketkeeper: B McDermott
- Batsmen: A Hales, U Khwaja, D Malan, T David
- All-rounders: D Sams, D Short
- Bowlers: T Sangha, N McAndrew, N Ellis, S Boland
- Captain: A Hales/T Sangha
- Vice Captain: D Malan/B McDermott
NOTE: The Howzat dream team above is just a suggestion. You can select your own fantasy 11, and play fantasy cricket matches. Also, don’t forget to make any necessary changes to your team once the actual playing 11 is announced by each team (30 minutes before the start of the match) as some players you have selected might not be part of the team suggested.
Get fantasy cricket tips on your favorite fantasy sports app and select your own team, Howzat!