In match 38 of the Australian T20 League 2020, Sydney T take on Sydney S at the Manuka Oval in Canberra on Wednesday evening. It is termed The Sydney Smash.
Sydney T have lost two of their last three matches. They were defeated by Perth S in the last match. Despite an incredible innings by S Billings, the Thunder lost by 17 runs. They have won six out of their nine games and are in second place behind the Sixers.
B Doggett, in his first game of the season, took a four-wicket haul and ended with the figures of 4-22 but could not prevent the Scorchers from posting a huge total of 185 runs. A Hales, U Khawaja, and C Ferguson fell cheaply, which left Billings to do the bulk of the scoring. He scored 83 off just 48 balls, with B Cutting providing him company.
Their city opponents, Sydney S, returned to winning ways as they beat Brisbane H in a last-ball thriller game, thanks to the veteran D Christian. The Sixers have won six out of their nine games and are on top of the table because of more Bash Boost points.
A superb bowling effort from the Sixers restricted the Heat to 148 runs. C Brathwaite picked up 4-18 in his four overs and was ably supported by J Ball, who took 3-25. In the chase, the Sixers were in trouble at 54/4 but D Christian produced a sensational knock as he scored 61* off just 38 balls and guided his team to victory.
With two of the best sides in the competition going head to head, it promises to be an exciting contest at the Manuka Oval.
- Match: Sydney T vs. Sydney S, Match 38
- Venue: Manuka Oval, Canberra
- Date & Time: Jan. 13, 2020, at 1.45 PM IST
Probable Playing XI
- A Hales, U Khawaja, C Ferguson (C), S Billings (WK), A Ross, B Cutting, D Sams, C Green, N McAndrew, T Sangha, B Doggett
- X-factor substitutes: O Davies, A Milne
- J Philippe (WK), J Edwards, J Vince, D Hughes (C), J Silk, D Christian, C Brathwaite, J Bird, L Pope, S O’Keefe, J Ball
- X-factor substitutes: G Sandhu, H Kerr
Weather and Pitch Report
The weather is expected to be clear and sunny in Canberra. The temperature will be around 30 degrees during the game.
The Manuka Oval is a good pitch to bat on. The batsmen will target the small square boundaries. The pace bowlers should get some early movement with the ball, and spinners will come into play later. The average first innings score in the six games played here has been 175 runs.
As evident from the last two matches, the pitch will get slow in the second innings. It will be hard to time the ball easily as the match progresses. Expect the team winning the toss to bat first. A first innings score of around 170-180 runs should be a competitive one.
- A Hales is the highest scorer for Sydney T this season and has scored 269 runs at a brilliant strike rate of over 160. He scored his season’s best 71 in the last game played at this very venue. Expect him to play a big innings here.
- C Ferguson has scored 244 runs in his nine innings at an average of 30.5. All of his three half centuries have come in the five innings played at this venue. Expect him to return to scoring form here.
- T Sangha is the highest wicket taker of the season for the Thunder, with 15 wickets. He has taken 9 wickets in the five matches played here, with the best figures of 4/14. He will look to bounce back after going wicketless in the last game.
- J Philippe is the top run scorer for the Sixers, with 273 runs at a strike rate of 140. He missed out in the last two matches and will look to play a big knock against the city rivals.
- D Hughes scored an impressive half century in the last game. After a string of low scores, this will give him the confidence to play more such knocks in the remainder of the tournament. He has scored 264 runs at an average of 33 and a strike rate of 135.
- J Ball has been a little expensive but has picked up wickets regularly in the three matches he has played. He had an excellent last game, with figures of 3 for 25. Expect him to take wickets here too.
Howzat Dream Team
- Wicketkeepers: J Philippe, S Billings
- Batsmen: A Hales, C Ferguson, J Silk, D Hughes
- All-rounders: D Sams, D Christian
- Bowlers: T Sangha, C Green, J Ball
- Captain: A Hales/C Ferguson
- Vice Captain: J Philippe/D Hughes
NOTE: The Howzat dream team above is just a suggestion. You can select your own fantasy 11, and play fantasy cricket matches. Also, don’t forget to make any necessary changes to your team once the actual playing 11 is announced by each team (30 minutes before the start of the match) as some players you have selected might not be part of the team suggested.
Get fantasy cricket tips on your favorite fantasy sports app and select your own team, Howzat!