6th-placed Tottenham hosts Aston Villa at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in the Premier League on Wednesday evening.
A solid 2-0 win against the Wolves on the weekend maintained Spurs’ 100% home record under interim manager Ryan Mason. They are currently 6th in the league and 4 points behind 5th-placed Liverpool. Another 3 points are crucial here for them to keep themselves in the Europa League spot for the next season. The Spurs’ last three victories at home have seen them score 8 goals and concede just once.
Aston Villa have fallen off the pace in recent matches and are currently 11th in the league, 4 points behind Leeds in 10th. They have conceded 6 goals in their most recent three fixtures, including a 3-2 loss at Crystal Palace on the weekend. After a promising season, Dean Smith’s side will be looking to end their season on a high.
In the last 13 head-to-head meetings between these two teams, Tottenham have won 12 matches as compared to Villa’s solitary win. Moreover, the last five meetings have all been won by Tottenham.
The previous meeting between the two teams took place in March this year and ended in a 2-0 away win for the Spurs. Harry Kane and Carlos Vinicius scored in each half to secure the 3 points for the London side.
- Tottenham are looking to complete their 7th Premier League double over Aston Villa. They have done so more against Everton (7) and Manchester City (8) in the competition.
- Tottenham have won their final home league game in 10 of the last 12 seasons, with the exceptions being a 1-2 loss to Southampton in 2015-16 and a 2-2 draw with Everton in 2018-19.
- Aston Villa have only 2 wins to boast from their last 12 Premier League outings (D4, L6). Their last away win was against Everton three game weeks back.
- Aston Villa have won their final away league game in just one of the last 18 seasons (D7, L10), beating Arsenal 2-1 at the Emirates in 2010-11.
- Tottenham striker Harry Kane has scored 7 goals in his last six Premier League appearances against Aston Villa, finding the net in each of his last four games against Villa.
- Match: Tottenham vs. Aston Villa
- Venue: Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, London
- Date & Time: May 19, 2021 at 10:30 PM IST
- Injured: Serge Aurier, Ben Davies
- Doubtful: None
- Suspended: None
- Injured: Trezeguet, Matty Cash
- Doubtful: Morgan Sanson
- Unavailable: None
Predicted Starting XI
Hugo Lloris (GK); Sergio Reguilon, Eric Dier, Toby Alderweireld, Japhet Tanganga; Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg, Giovani Lo Celso; Heung-min Son, Dele Alli, Gareth Bale; Harry Kane
Aston Villa (4-2-3-1)
Emiliano Martinez (GK), Ahmed El Mohamady, Ezri Konsa, Tyrone Mings, Matt Targett; Douglas Luiz, Marvelous Nakamba; John McGinn, Bertrand Traore, Ross Barkley, Jack Grealish; Ollie Watkins
- Tottenham form guide: L-W-D-W-W
- Aston Villa form guide: W-D-L-L-W
Ryan Mason will be determined to sign off his short-lived time in charge in perfect fashion as Spurs look to confirm their qualification for Europe. However, with Grealish potentially returning to the team, Villa will have that extra edge going forward, and Tottenham’s defense is not exactly impenetrable.
Aston Villa have been very inconsistent in the past few weeks, which has prevented them from rising any higher than mid-table and the attacking strength of hosts should prove too strong for them in North London, possibly leading to another important home win for the Spurs.
Howzat Dream Team
- Goalkeeper: E Martinez
- Defenders: S Reguilon, E Dier, A Elmohamady
- Midfielders: P Hojbjerg, H-min Son, D Ali, J Grealish
- Forwards: H Kane, G Bale, B Traore
- Captain: H Kane/G Bale
- Vice Captain: B Traore/J Grealish
NOTE: The Howzat dream team above is just a suggestion. You can select your own fantasy 11 by using your knowledge and fantasy premier league tips. Also, don’t forget to make any necessary changes to your team once the actual starting 11 is announced by each team (60 minutes before the start of the match) as some players you have selected might not be part of the fantasy 11.
Select your own team and play fantasy football on your favorite fantasy football app, Howzat!