With the arrival of two new franchises from the next edition onward, the Indian T20 League will witness a mega auction wherein all the teams will have to rebuild their sides. However, the teams will not need to rebuild from scratch as all the existing teams are allowed to retain a maximum of four players by the governing authority BCCI.
30th November is the deadline for all the old franchises to announce their retained players list. After the list of retained players is finalized, the two new franchises will get the first choice to acquire three players from the rest of the pool ahead of the auction.
Indian T20 League Auction Date
The 2022 mega auction is likely to take place in the first week of January, with the final date yet to be revealed. The auction timing and the venue are yet to be confirmed. The 2022 season of the Indian T20 League is also likely to get underway from 2nd April onward, with a total of 74 matches to be played after the inclusion of the two new teams.
Retention Rules for the Indian T20 League 2022 Mega Auction
- The existing eight teams are allowed to retain a maximum of four players.
- The players can be either two Indians and two overseas or three Indians and one overseas player. However, the franchises have the freedom to retain one, two, three or four players, depending upon their requirements (maximum of two uncapped players).
- The three Indian players retained by franchises can all be capped or a mix of both (maximum of one uncapped player).
- The three players going to the two new franchises, Lucknow and Ahmedabad, will have a specified combination of two Indians and one overseas player. Their allotted budget is ₹33 crore.
- The purse for the 2022 mega auction is likely to be ₹90 crore, an increase from the ₹85 crore budget of the previous auction.
- There will be no right-to-match cards (RTM) at the 2022 auction.
Classification of Salary of the Retained Players
Indian T20 League 2022 Mega Auction Purse Usage
The total purse value of the franchises has been increased as compared to the last auction. Previously the franchises had a purse value of ₹85 crore. However, it has now been increased to ₹90 crores heading into the mega auction.
Here is how the purse will be affected by the retention of players:
- No Retentions: ₹90 crores
- One Retention: ₹76 crores
- Two Retentions: ₹66 crores
- Three Retentions: ₹57 crores
- Four Retentions: ₹48 crores
Indian T20 League 2022 Retained Players’ List
All the team has officially announced their retention list.
- MS Dhoni, Ravindra Jadeja, Ruturaj Gaikwad, and Moeen Ali
- Rohit Sharma, Jasprit Bumrah, Suryakumar Yadav and Kieron Pollard
- Rishabh Pant, Prithvi Shaw, Axar Patel and Anrich Nortje
- Sunil Narine, Andre Russell, Varun Chakravarthy and Venkatesh Iyer
- Virat Kohli, Glenn Maxwell and Mohammed Siraj
- Kane Williamson, Abdul Samad and Umran Malik
- Sanju Samson, Jos Buttler and Yashasvi Jaiswal
- Mayank Agarwal and Arshdeep Singh
Howzat, India’s most trusted fantasy cricket app, is currently hosting exciting fantasy cricket contests and leagues for all the matches of the various ongoing series. Make sure to create teams on time and play fantasy cricket matches on Howzat to win big cash prizes! If you haven’t downloaded our app yet, download it right now! Happy gaming!